Lyndhurst 8" (200mm) Planer a Review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Nibbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Well the Lyndhurst 200mm Planer is now up and running, Wow what a machine :)

304849706_d292b7d21e_o.jpg

The tin of liberon wax and the Record PT260 in the background show a reference to how big the machine is

It came delivered in two boxes, the base was in your normal thick cardboard box, the planer top was in a plywood box that was reinforced along every edge with light gauge angle iron, and the top of the box was screwed on with no less than a dozen screws.

The base was manageable to get into position on my own, I guess it weighs about 100 lb but the top is a two man job without a doubt and that does not include the fence and it’s adjustable angle bracket.

So with help I got the table positioned on the base, three 12mm bolts screw from inside the base unit into the bottom of the table, access is made easy by removing a large panel on the base side which has two handles that need just a quarter of a turn to undo the cover.

305130665_877f739eec_o.jpg

This pic shows the easy removable cover and the massive fence castings

Next job was to put the two V belts on from the motor too the cutting head/rotor, I then realised the motor needed moving sideways to align the pulleys exactly, it was quite easy to loosen the motor at its base and slide it across on its bed which has elongated holes for this purpose. It was while I was undoing the bolts on the motor I realised they were not tightened up when the machine was assembled in the factory, this made me check other nuts and bolts even grub screws and locking nuts, None were what I would cal tight, so I called a halt to assembling the machine and went over every nut, bolt, grub screws, and every locking nut.

With the motor aligned the belts are tensioned quite simply by unlocking the motor bed and letting gravity do the hard work, it really did only take about 30 seconds to do this job. Next was to fix a guard on the base to cover the belts going up to the rotor, the guard is simply held on with two Alan screws.

The table and fence is covered with an oily wax for protection from rust so my next job was to clean it all off, I found white spirit removed it with out too much elbow greece. While I was cleaning this off I realised just how good the surface was machined, I could almost see my face in it, the face machining is superb, probably the best machined finish on any machine that I own, so with the table top cleaned and the fence a liberal coat of Liberon Lubricating Wax was applied and buffed up. A word of warning at this point, the rotor is also covered and needs cleaning, even wearing heavy gloves didn’t stop me from slicing through the glove and the skin from one of my fingers, those blades are bl@@dy sharp.

304849708_863d69372f_m.jpg

I did say it was finished superbly

Next was putting the fence on, or I should say the bracket that holds the fence and the adjustable bracket used for rebating, both areas needed the paint removed and emmerying clean as both had been sprayed when the machine was made this also needs to be done to the brackets themselves as the faces were also spayed with paint.

305130666_ab92c2d7ea_o.jpg

It is heavy believe me

Fitting the fence on is quite easy just a matter of holding it in position and screwing in a large alan screw which has a machined point on it for the fence to pivot on. Next job was to attach the tilting adjuster to the fence. Then the two table height adjuster wheels were attached, simply held on with Philips screws. Last was the spring loaded blade guard, it simply drops into a machined hole on the rebate bracket and is held in place with a locking bolt.

So it was complete.

But I still had a square tin plate left over. !!!! What was it for? Nothing in the destruction book showed it, a quick look at the drawing of the machine and I spotted it. It is screwed on to the front of the machine and holds two safety push pads that come with the machine, quite a neat idea.

304850262_dceb3441b9.jpg

Neat idea and this pic shows the adjuster hand wheel, there is one on the out feed as well

Everything assembled and tightened it was time to check the tables for level, they were spot on to each other, so learning how to level them is for another day, I couldn’t believe my luck. :)

So I lowered the take off table to check the three blades for height, I used the old method of using a piece of timber and rotating the rotor till it moves the timber about ¼” on both ends of the blade.

304849709_80afddb333.jpg

Blade 1 was spot on level.
Blade 2 was low one end.
Blade 3 was low both ends.

I turned it on to test it, the switch is a tab type lever and is situated on the front of the base, boy does it run quiet, tried an eight foot length 4x2 pine over it, perfect smooth as a baby’s bum even smoother, :) and with two passes perfectly straight and square.

304849711_c74df564b4.jpg

The tab type start lever in the on position

The machine comes with a well made blade height tool, two spanners, three alan keys and the two push pads. The instruction book for assembling the machine is excellent as is the exploded drawings showing and listing part numbers.

I’ve yet to test it with some real pig grained hard woods but I think it was a steal for under £600. :D If you fancy the 6" version it's under £300 it's got to be a bargain.

The downside.

Every nut and bolt needs checking for tightness; I mean every nut and bolt.

The Push pads are a little too small for my liking.

The paint job could be better, even a different colour might help, but that might be just me trying to find faults.

I’m not too sure about the safety of the Tab type switch, it seems ok but time will tell.

No adjustable feet.

I do not have any conection with Lyndhurst Woodworking Machines Ltd, I'm just a very happy customer. :D

Thats very interesting - thanks, LN.

Here are a few pics of the Jet version for comparison - actually the 6" Jet model 54A, but I think I am right in saying that it is identical to the 8" model 60" except for the wider beds & larger motor.

I should just say that I had a little mishap with the Briwax that I waxed the beds & fence with - in my unheated (at the moment) workshop it hardened before I buffed it off and so the finish on the beds looks a little naff - needless to say, the cast iron underneath is as smooth as the proverbial baby's bum.

Here is a general view:
54A.jpg

The guarding is of course the european-style - I'm puzzled how Lyndhurst can get away with supplying a non-CE-marked guard?

On to the fence - similar but different! The 90 degree stop is nice on the Jet.
fence1.jpg

One very nice feature of the fence on the Jet is that it tilts both ways:
fence2.jpg

fence3.jpg

tilting the fence towards the operator feels much safer and its easier to keep the stock tight against the fence.

The NVR is better (IMO) on the Jet. The table adjustment looks a bit different - it doesn't look like there is a coarse adjust on the Lyndhurst? Not that it matters - I just leave mine set at 0.5mm. I like the smart adjuster wheel on the Lyndhurst.
nvr.jpg

Other things of note - there is only one pulley from motor to cutter block. Oh, there are no adjustable feet, and the pushpads are a bit different but too small for my liking as well!

Apart from the guarding & NVR I think the Lyndhurst looks like a great bargain - I paid £100 more for the 6" Jet! The Lyndhurst wouldn't have been viable for me though as the carriage to Ireland would have been too high.

Just a warning if anyone is thinking of the 6" Lyndhurst - this looks equivalent to the Axminster CT150 rather than the Jet 54A.

Thanks again for the review, LN - and congratulations on your new toy!

cheers,
Neil

=P~ :mrgreen: =P~ :mrgreen:

Looks superb (nice comprehensive review as well)

Great review LN. I do not know about you or Neil, but one thing I really like about my Jet is the dust extraction. Because it goes into a sealed base it is first class, with hardly any dust falling onto the floor or the beds themselves.

Cheers

Mike

Neil":bsofyorv said:
Thats very interesting - thanks, LN.

On to the fence - similar but different! The 90 degree stop is nice on the Jet.
fence1.jpg

Neil

Yes I think the jet calibrated tilt mechanism looks and probably is better.

The Lyndhurst tilts both ways as well.

One thing I totally forgot to mention what Mike.C point out is the Dust extraction, It's probably the same on both machines, The Lyndhurst is 4" and the chute is totally air tight from under the cutter to the pipe connection.

Mike.C":1k9apts1 said:
I do not know about you or Neil, but one thing I really like about my Jet is the dust extraction.
Agreed, Mike - the extraction is really good.

Cheers,
Neil

Back