LV Spokeshaves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm considering getting some decent spokeshaves. Chris doesn't like the LA shave but can anyone enlighten me on the 'normal' LV spokeshaves?. I haven't found a review of them yet.

cheers

Ike

Neil,

Great!. Thanks for the links. I've been scratching about and unearthed some mre info on tuning old metal shaves - maybe I don't need to spend much.

Alf, Sorry, how did I miss it!. Doh! :oops: <slopes off to lick print>.

cheers

Ike

Ike":1j2vgdsw said:
I've been scratching about and unearthed some mre info on tuning old metal shaves

That sounds interesting - where did you find it? :)

NeilCFD

ike":38irxwl5 said:
I'm considering getting some decent spokeshaves. Chris doesn't like the LA shave but can anyone enlighten me on the 'normal' LV spokeshaves?. I haven't found a review of them yet.
<sobs quietly in a corner> :cry: :wink:

Good link, Ike. Perhaps time I re-posted a link to The Index wherein that and other useful tutorials from Mr Smalser can be found. Bookmark it peeps; 'tis a handy page indeed.

A word of caution vis-a-vis metal shaves of the Stanley/Record variety. You'll notice there's considerable difference of opinion over whether they're worth the effort or not. Very reminiscent of the argument over whether modern Sorby chisels are worth having. 'Tis for the same reason - inconsistancy. Whether old or new (though your chances for the good are better with old) you could get a dreamy shave that's just great, but equally you could get an absolute stinker. D'you feel lucky? :wink: FWW had a good article on super-tuning a shave by Brian Boggs a while back, which used to be on-line, but seems to have gone now :( I could probably hunt out the issue # if you're interested.

FWIW, I like the L-V low angle. It's not perfect for everything, but no single shave ever is. I also like old woodies, but getting them in useable condition is increasingly difficult round here. :(

Cheers, Alf

Alf wrote:

<sobs quietly in a corner>
I'm positively glowing with embarrassment :oops: .

I could probably hunt out the issue # if you're interested.
I say, steady on..I'm still a fresh-faced Galoot In Training! :roll:

FWIW, I like the L-V low angle. It's not perfect for everything, but no single shave ever is
. Nows there's a thing. Been cogitating 'bout the LA. Read some good reports about it, and as you say, not for everything.

I also like old woodies
The LV woody kit looks a nice little project for a rainy day. N'est pa?

ike":21wbwg6a said:
Mais oui. Certainement. Mais premier catch la "tuit", n'est pas? :( :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Linguist. Just not sure in which language. :oops:

Ike,
I have the L-V low angle and L-V flat bottom spokeshaves-both are great, easily up to Lie-Nielsen standards and a lot cheaper than the Boggs (which I think L-V used to manufacture???)
You wont go wrong with the regular spokeshave-it is spot on! The low-angle is also very useful, but it depends upon which style of shave you are used to (old woodie style or metal type)
regards
Philly :D

Linguist. Just not sure in which language.

Je pense "Franglais" 8)

Philly,

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I won't be disappointed if I go for them. :wink:

cheers

Ike

Alf":2tt0sena said:
ike":2tt0sena said:
Mais oui. Certainement. Mais premier catch la "tuit", n'est pas? :( :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Linguist. Just not sure in which language. :oops:

Bonjour Alf -

D'apres moi, la gamme "woody" est fantastique! On a designe un vraiment utile outil. Je peux en apporter avec moi (en Angleterre) en Decembre, s'il ya quelqu'un qui veut l'essayer.

Salut -

Rob

Got it in one (ho ho..) But I'm not interested in a German style beer belly - just a brace of spokeshaves, really... :wink:

I think, courtesy of the Army, that I can actually order a beer in about 12 different languages... Mozambiquan portuguese being the 'weirdest'...

Shady":cuhrr0ml said:
Got it in one (ho ho..) But I'm not interested in a German style beer belly - just a brace of spokeshaves, really... :wink:

I think, courtesy of the Army, that I can actually order a beer in about 12 different languages... Mozambiquan portuguese being the 'weirdest'...

Hopefully - you also know how to ask where the WC is twelve languages too.... :lol:

That's always the second phrase learned...

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":2nkec5nx said:
Bonjour Alf -

D'apres moi, la gamme "woody" est fantastique! On a designe un vraiment utile outil. Je peux en apporter avec moi (en Angleterre) en Decembre, s'il ya quelqu'un qui veut l'essayer.

Salut -

Rob
Well that's easy for you to say...

<Goes to find French/English dictionary. Blows dust of ages from same>

It's no good. You lost me shortly after "Bonjour"... :oops: You think it's great? (well you would :p ) You'll bring some in December if...? Then I get hopelessly lost. Okay, hopelessly lost even more. :roll: Hell, this is worse than double French last lesson on a Friday afternoon with Madame <shudder> :shock:

Cheers, Alf
Really hoping we don't get into Mozambiquan Portuguese 'cos I've lost that dictionary...

Alf":2aqnjf9w said:
(snip)

It's no good. You lost me shortly after "Bonjour"...

Hi Alf -

I'll be glad to bring along a "built" spokeshave kit, if anyone wants to try it...

Building your own is a good alternative to buying one..! (then you can't say anything about the handles either :wink: )

Cheers -

Rob

Back