LV low angle "regular" smoother

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
With 38 and 50 degree blades being offered for the LV LA jointer, jack and heavy smoother, are there any plans to offer a 50 degree blade for the regular LA smoother?

Hi ydb,

I don't know if they will or not. But, assuming you have one, if you ordered a spare blade and reground it at 38 deg the effective cutting angle will be 50 deg. Do it at 48 deg and it will be 60 deg. etc.

That's what I did on mine quite some time ago. You will loose very little life for the new blade, esp. if you only resharpen to the new angle say just over half of the factory grind's face. Then just keep honing as needed, it'll eventually be the full blade thickness and there is no loss of performance issues by doing it this way.

Hiya Mike,

I have the standard blade and the 38 degree blade for my smoother. I could buy a second 38 degree blade and do as you suggested and regrind it at 50 degrees.

I've got so many extra blades for my bevel up planes that I've begun thinking of a better way to organize my collection.

It will be nice when the LV "wide body" collection of planes is complete and I can swap blades between planes, rather than having two or three blades for each plane.

ydb1md":1e083kn8 said:
(snip)
I've got so many extra blades for my bevel up planes that I've begun thinking of a better way to organize my collection.

(snip)

...no worries there - we've got you covered .... or will, when our storage "doodah" makes it's debut (with the Jointer, I believe)... 8)

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":33b7g594 said:
ydb1md":33b7g594 said:
(snip)

(snip)

...no worries there - we've got you covered .... or will, when our storage "doodah" makes it's debut (with the Jointer, I believe)... 8)

Cheers - Rob

There ya go, Alf...our friendly neighborhood toolmaker extrodinaire has you (us all) covered for (y)our blade storage!

So come on Rob, any hints (you know, pictures :D ) as to what it looks like?

MikeW":37urs2ce said:

I bet Alf has a prototype sitting on her bench. ;)

I don't even bother regrinding, I just sharpen to the new angle and keep going from there. Makes sharpening a lot faster the first few times; there's not much metal to take off when you go to a higher angle.
Rob: I hope it's going to be made out of leather...(many hand tool afficionados might prefer the low-tech "natural" feel...no?...though I guess I'm expecting Lee Valley to come up with some high-tech solution, like kevlar :wink: ) And I hope I'll be able to put regular length blades in it too. Believe me, you'll sell at least one more if I can fit all of my extra blades in it.
Frank

YD
To get to your original question, yes they do offer a high angle blade for the LA Smoother. I bought one when I got mine. (and yes, you do want one :lol: )
Cheers
Philly :D

Philly":64vfwc56 said:
YD
To get to your original question, yes they do offer a high angle blade for the LA Smoother. I bought one when I got mine. (and yes, you do want one :lol: )
Cheers
Philly :D

Hiya Philly,

Yep, I have the high angle blade. I was wondering if they were gonna offer a higher (50) angle blade. :)

Rob Lee":18gpuii1 said:
when our storage "doodah" makes it's debut (with the Jointer, I believe)... 8)
That's not a "doodah"; pretty sure that comes under "foldy-hangy-pockety storage". [-X Tsk, doodahs are entirely different, thought everyone knew that... :roll:

Alas, ybd, no such prototype resides chez Alf :( , hence my earlier query to Mike. I knew it was planned, but in the meantime things are getting a bit critical. :shock: I look forward to seeing what they come up with though, and agree with Frank about "regular length" blade accomodation. Incidentally, anyone got the spokeshave foldy-hangy-pockety storage wotsit? (and no, I haven't, before you ask). The "Two inside pockets have a cut-resistant lining for holding extra blades" which should give more than a hint of what to expect I would guess.

Cheers, Alf

Rob Lee":1nlrzff6 said:
ydb1md":1nlrzff6 said:
MikeW":1nlrzff6 said:

Hi -
Nope - no prototype available yet....there's tooling involved... 8-[ 8)
Cheers - Rob

Yeah, but I bet there's a cad rendering hiding somewhere :-k ...

MikeW":2shnpunl said:
Rob Lee":2shnpunl said:
ydb1md":2shnpunl said:
MikeW":2shnpunl said:

Hi -
Cheers - Rob

There are no Cad's rendering things in our shop.....! :shock: :lol: :lol:

Oh picky picky.

To rephrase a bit:

"Yeah, but I bet there's a [insert LV prefered image method here that's been used for how ever long] hiding somewhere [-( :-k ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ...

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm bored and awaiting my wife to get ready to do a bit of looking at garage sales (old tools, of course).

Rob Lee":7j4adnq3 said:
Tooling?! The mind positively boggles... :shock:

Rob Lee":7j4adnq3 said:
MikeW":7j4adnq3 said:
There are no Cad's rendering things in our shop.....! :shock: :lol: :lol:
Oh dear, you've got a fine mental imagine going now. LV employees being regularly quizzed to check they're neither cads nor closet renderers. Exterminators brought in with pointy sticks to winkle out any lurking cads in the corners of the workshop. A total embargo on plasterer's tools to prevent unauthorised rendering by any cads in the vicinity...

I need to go and lie down until the meds are due. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Back