LV LA jointer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob Lee":3qwqisq9 said:
If you still have the box, check through the packing material.... sometimes we put the holes in a small envelope.....
Don't be silly, that was the first thing I thought of. :roll:

Alf":3ml6ckjj said:
Rob Lee":3ml6ckjj said:
If you still have the box, check through the packing material.... sometimes we put the holes in a small envelope.....

Before, or after looking behind the sofa?

(don't you call it a "chesterfield" - or is that a colonialism?)

Rob Lee":4kz8fmmo said:
Alf":4kz8fmmo said:

Now you're just being daft. How would they get behind the sofa? :-s Honestly, Rob, get a grip...

Ah, I think that could be the entry to a terminology minefield. Usually I call it a settee in fact, but you simply can't hide from Daleks behind anything but a sofa for some reason. :-k

Cheers, Alf

Alf":jvnuwr7p said:
Rob Lee":jvnuwr7p said:
Alf":jvnuwr7p said:

Now you're just being daft. How would they get behind the sofa? :-s Honestly, Rob, get a grip...

Ah, I think that could be the entry to a terminology minefield. Usually I call it a settee in fact, but you simply can't hide from Daleks behind anything but a sofa for some reason. :-k

Cheers, Alf

... can't comment on that... I've never seen Daleks behind....

Alf":4lttepkq said:
...Usually I call it a settee in fact, but you simply can't hide from Daleks behind anything but a sofa for some reason. :-k
Cheers, Alf
Oh the TV gems we cannot get here--at least without paying for cable. And I'm too cheap I guess.

The latest Lee Valley product has just gone into pre-production.
An update to that old nemesis of the Human Race, Lee Valley have improved it somewhat by removing its old Prime Directive to destroy all sentient lifeforms. It is now able to cryogenically treat any old carbon steel blade that it may come across. It is also a unique salesman, able detect a woodworker from five miles away and convince him or her that the Veritas products really are superior.

Dr%20Who%20daleks-london.jpg

That'll be the last time T L-N goes sightseeing in London on his own....

Noel

Rob Lee":29nccjrs said:
mudman":29nccjrs said:
Oh, and it works right out of the box. :wink:

Hah!

Feeble try.... our 'Bot is Black with brass knobby things (doo-dahs?) on it...

Sheesh....

:lol:

Rob

Are optional wooden knobby things available? Some people may prefer those instead.

Wendell

Noel":3x6rac3l said:
That'll be the last time T L-N goes sightseeing in London on his own....
ROTFL! :lol: :lol:

Davros":3x6rac3l said:
Feeble try.... our 'Bot is Black with brass knobby things (doo-dahs?) on it...
Been done. Probably already patented too. :wink: Although that sink plunger doesn't look low angle to me, so maybe... :-k

dalek.jpg

Cheers, Alf

A little bit of performance related info on the new LV BU Jointer.

I spent part of today preparing boards for a jewellry box I am building for my wife. It will use several slightly exotic timbers, and these proved to be very susceptible to tearout. I could have used a smoother but thought that this was a great opportunity to test out the adjustable mouth of the BU Jointer.

Oh, wow! Is this a jointer or a smoother?! With a 62 degree cutting angle (my choice for these boards), I was taking shavings as thin as anything I have had from dedicated smoothers.

I know that it is not a substitute for a smoother (you really do not want to level an entire board to refine the surface), but can leave a heck of a great finish! My Stanley #7 (Type 11 with Smoothcut blade) has just retired.

Regards from Perth

Derek

My Stanley #7 (Type 11 with Smoothcut blade) has just retired.

Send it here Derek, i will soon have nice empty bench where it can play and plane away all day, enjoying it's retirement. :lol:

Matt.

Mr lee, how about being really helpful to your customers and providing a suitable screwdriver for your wonderful products. my newish LV 4 1/2 is already getting a little chewed up because most available screwdrivers do not fit the width of the cap screw, and also the side screws really need a more "dinky" driver.
one of the problems with re-building older planes and also adjusting clifton No5 is getting to the adjustment screws. so why no tool??

other wise i am getting to be a veritas junkie and wondering whether i will actually produce the work to go with them.
all the best
paul :?

engineer one":12dlh5j1 said:
Mr lee, how about being really helpful to your customers and providing a suitable screwdriver for your wonderful products. my newish LV 4 1/2 is already getting a little chewed up because most available screwdrivers do not fit the width of the cap screw, and also the side screws really need a more "dinky" driver.
one of the problems with re-building older planes and also adjusting clifton No5 is getting to the adjustment screws. so why no tool??

other wise i am getting to be a veritas junkie and wondering whether i will actually produce the work to go with them.
all the best
paul :?

Glen Drake makes some nice plane hammers that have a tip just the right size for chip breaker screws.

PH-1-1-400.jpg

Link

Mod edit to shorten scrolling link

engineer one":26x80m68 said:
Mr lee, how about being really helpful to your customers and providing a suitable screwdriver for your wonderful products. .... (snip)

Hi Paul -

I'll make sure we take a look at it.... it's enough of a hassle with any plane that it'd be worth doing...!

Cheers -

Rob

Back