LV Heavy Smoother

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any pictures of the oft-mentioned Lee Valley Heavy Smoother? :-k

No blue and grey drawing, not even a little itty-bitty picture. Not so much as a hint of a tease.
Frank (setting himself up here--C'mon Rob I'm a sitting duck...)

Yes; well an unpainted one anyway. But I don't believe I'm allowed to show you - sorry. :(

<snigger, chortle, tee-hee, etc> :wink:

However, Rob's been using it for his avatar on Woodnet:
hsicon.jpg

for you delectation. From the same source:
Rob Lee":1ycsginp said:
The prototype for the other plane is shown in my avatar - and is the Heavy smooth. A bevel-up configuration, with a standard 38 degree bevel (for a 50 degree effective cut angle). There'll aslo be a 50 degree bevel blade (for a 62 degree effective cut angle) available. I believe the toothing blade may also be ready at the same time - if not, then very soon after...

Price is tentatively set at $169.00 .

This fall - the set of Bevel-up planes will be completed with the adjustable-mouth Jointer... mold being made now. All four blades (25, 38, 50 degree and toothing) are common to the three bevel-up planes (the heavy smooth, the LA Jack, and the LA jointer). It'll be a great set!
Cheers, Alf

I believe the toothing blade may also be ready

First of all whats a toothing blade ?

Whats the difference between this heavy smother and the L/V L/A smoother ?

Do I understand that these irons will fit my L/V L/A Jack

Thanks in advance

Sawdust Producer":38svqg7e said:

Thanks in advance

A toothing blade has a few uses. It can be used to roughen a surface prior to applying a veneer. This gives more surface area for better glue adhesion. A toothing blade can also be used to plane a reeaally nasty grain before using a more traditional plane. This would help prevent tear-out.

The heavy smoother is just the Low Angle smoother but heavier. :lol:
The first low angle smoother was made to do the jobs of smoothing and shooting end grain. The heavy smoother is optimized for smoothing only. There are no side wings to facilitate shooting and its center of gravity is as low as possible.

Sawdust Producer":1n1aba90 said:

It's a blade with a load of grooves down the length of the back, so when you sharpen it you get a row of teeth instead of a straight edge. Used for "keying" the substrate for veneering and apparently works well on dealing with the really stinking grain. I wouldn't know; never used one.

Weight, width (#4.5 width, rather than #4 size) and the inability to use it on a shooting board.

Yep; as I understand it the idea is to have the same width iron for the jack, heavy smoother and jointer, so you can swap 'em around and not have to have 2 or 3 blades for each plane.

ybd, well I don't suppose you will, but I might have. Hey, didn't the man say he wouldn't put them where they could be found if he didn't want someone to? :roll: (You pawn, you :p )

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1k4afgla said:
ybd, well I don't suppose you will, but I might have. Hey, didn't the man say he wouldn't put them where they could be found if he didn't want someone to? :roll: (You pawn, you :p )

Cheers, Alf

....not to mention the subtle placement of the spokeshave roll drawing under the plane....that was before it was announced... 8)

The heavy smooth (bevel-up smooth) shown waay above is close to actual....though we've moved the handle a tad back since that shot was taken...

38 degree bevel will be standard for this plane - and we'll have a 50 degree blade too...

The four stock blade for the bevel-up series will be 25, 38, 50 degree + toothing blade....

Cheers -

Rob
(have to run - 300 miles to drive before lunch....)

Rob Lee":lu8ll6bx said:
....not to mention the subtle placement of the spokeshave roll drawing under the plane....that was before it was announced... 8)

The heavy smooth (bevel-up smooth) shown waay above is close to actual....though we've moved the handle a tad back since that shot was taken...

The four stock blade for the bevel-up series will be 25, 38, 50 degree + toothing blade....

Cheers -
Rob

Every time my wife sees these posts about new tools from Rob -- she's not looking forward to June. 8) We are entering a phase of mutual agreement where I get a plane, she gets something for the house. :wink:

Hey now Alf, you weren't supposed to divulge any insider secrets -- you're in trouble with Rob now! :lol: :roll:

Since my only jointer plane is one of those cheapos from India -- bought before I knew any better ](*,) :sick: -- I'm gonna need to pick up a low angle jointer before fall. If only I knew what they looked like . . . . . [-o<

Must admit, I've never been a great fan of the way LV planes look (although I've never doubted their ability as planes), but I must admit that this one does look the business. And strangely enough I've been thinking about a low angle smoother for a while now, think it maybe time to try one of LV's offerings.

P.S. sorry if this is a gloat but I just heard today that my brand new LN 5 1/2 has just been picked up by my friend in the US at a substantial discount and will be arriving over here in his suit case in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the pics everyone,
Seems the plane pics haven't been kept secret after all! I should get out more I guess.
I keep telling myself "no" (at least my wife does) but this one will be hard to resist.

I wonder if Rob will be offering a package deal for all of the new planes that share the same blades: the LA jack, heavy smoother, and the LA jointer?

Maybe a package deal of $450 -- three planes & three blades? Can I get a show of hands? 8)

The latest tentative shipping date for the heavy smoother -- I like to call it 'Super Smoother' -- is June 7th. :)

In case anyone's curious, the product id is 05P3601.

<A cobweb-strewn, stone-walled laboratory, somewhere in good thunderstorm country. A lumbering figure is seen disappearing through a rubble-filled hole in the wall muttering inexplicable stock codes>

Dr Frankenlee - Ah. Umm, I seem to have created a monster, Igor. A little lower on the voltage next time, d'you think?

Igor - Yeth, marthter. :roll:

:wink:

Alf":3rxeuzyo said:
Dr Frankenlee - Ah. Umm, I seem to have created a monster, Igor. A little lower on the voltage next time, d'you think?

That must be why my wife's tried to have me exorcized . . . :roll:

Latest posts

Back