LV Carving Mallet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just put a post on the forum users favourite mallets thread. I thought that I would post here, in case people do not see it.

I have just bought a couple of LV lawn bowls on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 500wt_1277 .

From one of these, i would love a carvers mallet made, but I have no lathe nor have ever done any turning. If anybody fancies taking on this, they are more than welcome to the second bowl, to either make themselves a mallet, or to do as they choose.

Anybody interested, PM me?

Mark

My partner found me a bowls ball to make a mallet out of... excited, but a bit scared! :?

Ouch just looked at what you paid!!! mine = charity shop £3 :oops:

£3 is obviously very good, but still cracking at £24 for two I think, as the old LV is lovely stuff, thick, creamy, dense. Pics when it's made please??

here's one from 2 weeks ago, that has gone off to Tairua (NZ) with a happy looking woodcarver!

6312950216_17e65e4c8e_o.jpg

laminated ash handle and LV - but not an old bowling ball for a change.

Hi Jumps - the LV looks very good, creamy and oily! I also think that handle shape is very good... loads of grip and control. Personally I never use the trad beech mallets now, much prefer the LV 'carver's mallet', and LV is the material of choice. I am astonished the punishment the dense LV will take without marring at all. Fine basic 'lifetime' tools indeed.

marcos the lv mallet is done i will post pics in the next half hour it will be in the post on monday hope you like it, could you pm me your address please thanks

Here's one I made for my dad a few weeks ago - it isn't LV though. Just cherry with an ash handle, as he does a little light carving using small tools, so it'll just be for tapping really. Finished with thinned cellulose then a beeswax light polish. To be honest it will be looked at more than used (he's 90 now).
mallet.jpg

Attachments

• mallet.jpg
    mallet.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,535
From seeing several old LV mallets, I would recommend making sure that all (potential) arrises are very well rounded.

LV is hard and dense, but also brittle, not ideal in a striking tool.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back