• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

LV Carving Mallet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

marcros

(Trevanion)+1
Reaction score
I have just put a post on the forum users favourite mallets thread. I thought that I would post here, in case people do not see it.

I have just bought a couple of LV lawn bowls on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 500wt_1277 .

From one of these, i would love a carvers mallet made, but I have no lathe nor have ever done any turning. If anybody fancies taking on this, they are more than welcome to the second bowl, to either make themselves a mallet, or to do as they choose.

Anybody interested, PM me?

Mark

Melinda_dd

Established Member
Reaction score
My partner found me a bowls ball to make a mallet out of... excited, but a bit scared! :?

Ouch just looked at what you paid!!! mine = charity shop £3 :oops:

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
£3 is obviously very good, but still cracking at £24 for two I think, as the old LV is lovely stuff, thick, creamy, dense. Pics when it's made please??

jumps

Established Member
Reaction score
here's one from 2 weeks ago, that has gone off to Tairua (NZ) with a happy looking woodcarver!

laminated ash handle and LV - but not an old bowling ball for a change.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Jumps - the LV looks very good, creamy and oily! I also think that handle shape is very good... loads of grip and control. Personally I never use the trad beech mallets now, much prefer the LV 'carver's mallet', and LV is the material of choice. I am astonished the punishment the dense LV will take without marring at all. Fine basic 'lifetime' tools indeed.

wood master

Established Member
Reaction score
marcos the lv mallet is done i will post pics in the next half hour it will be in the post on monday hope you like it, could you pm me your address please thanks

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's one I made for my dad a few weeks ago - it isn't LV though. Just cherry with an ash handle, as he does a little light carving using small tools, so it'll just be for tapping really. Finished with thinned cellulose then a beeswax light polish. To be honest it will be looked at more than used (he's 90 now).
mallet.jpg

Attachments

bugbear

Established Member
Reaction score
From seeing several old LV mallets, I would recommend making sure that all (potential) arrises are very well rounded.

LV is hard and dense, but also brittle, not ideal in a striking tool.

BugBear