LV Bullnose Shoulder Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waka,

I have a bullnose plane - or rather I have a Clifton 3110 that can be used in bullnose configuration. It works well but I find it quicker on the whole to use a cranked paring chisel for nearly all jobs where a bullnose plane is relevant. A bullnose plane doesn't get to the end of a stopped cut anyway - for that you need a chisel plane - so you need to either swap to a chisel plane or a chisel and for my money, the cranked chisel is just as easy and accurate and much quicker.

Hi Waka,

Alf has done a review here.

I have an old Preston similar to the LV one. The nose can come off with a single screw for the chisel plane function. As a bullnose, I use it sometimes, but also prefer a chisel. I also use it to clean up rebates and like it for that as it is small and easy for me to control.

Mike

Chris":3u0fjl19 said:
the cranked chisel is just as easy and accurate and much quicker.

Chris, what type of cranked chesil are we talking about, got any pic's, stupid question I know.

[quote+"MikeW"]Alf has done a review here.
[/quote]

Mike, thanks for the link, I couldn't remember whether this had been reviewed of not. The price seems to be expensive but then what quality tools arn't.

I think on the whole I'll go down the chesil route. Thanks for the advice guys.

Waka":7km32m5s said:
MikeW":7km32m5s said:
Alf has done a review here.

Mike, thanks for the link, I couldn't remember whether this had been reviewed of not.
:roll: It says "Veritas" on it, doesn't it? :roll: :lol: As far as whether it's a good buy or not, it depends. If you've found yourself in a situation where you're thinking "by jove, I could just do with a dedicated bullnose plane from a current manufacturer in this situation", then it's the only buy. If you've just got a nasty case of New Tool Desire, there are probably some other varieties you should prioritise. :wink:

The top one of these is a cranked paring chisel, btw.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3rpcz52y said:
It says "Veritas" on it, doesn't it?

Yeh yeh I know I should have looked under your reviews :oops: :oops: , silly me. The problem I have out here is that the links take forever to download, if you think dial-up is slow well that is fast by camparison.
Anyway thanks for the further comments on the bullnose also thanks to you and Chris for the pic's of the chesils.

This brings me on nicely to another question, I see that Classic handtools have some hamlet cranked chesil, 75 GBP for a set of 4, anyone any info on these.

Waka":3nowjxl8 said:
Chris":3nowjxl8 said:
the cranked chisel is just as easy and accurate and much quicker.

Chris, what type of cranked chesil are we talking about, got any pic's, stupid question I know.

[quote+"MikeW"]Alf has done a review here.

Mike, thanks for the link, I couldn't remember whether this had been reviewed of not. The price seems to be expensive but then what quality tools arn't.

I think on the whole I'll go down the chesil route. Thanks for the advice guys.[/quote]

"The chesil route". You thinking of the beach again Waka ?:D

Waka":2xcoiyn0 said:
This brings me on nicely to another question, I see that Classic handtools have some hamlet cranked chesil, 75 GBP for a set of 4, anyone any info on these.
Might be worth asking in Hand Tools - I had a feeling BugBear might have some experience of Hamlet and he doesn't get out of there much. :D Not sure if one really needs a set though. :-k

Cheers, Alf

Alf":17ueucip said:
Might be worth asking in Hand Tools - I had a feeling BugBear might have some experience of Hamlet and he doesn't get out of there much. Not sure if one really needs a set though.

Alf

Thanks but i have found some HT's on the Axminster site, your right I
don't need a set, but won't a couple look lonely by themselves?

DW, wish I was on that beach right now, the saying here is that your worst day at home is better than your best day here.

Waka":2c0bpvn1 said:
Thanks but i have found some HT's on the Axminster site
Henry Taylors? Be prepared to do a lot of back flattening. They will polish the damn things and the edges are as rounded as a round thing. :evil: By the time I'd flattened mine I sent back the others I'd ordered as too much like hard work.

Cheers, Alf

Hi Waka,

I also have the Henry Taylors...which I pruchased from The Best Things. Lee Richmond there is great to do biz with...if you live here.

(I also have the HT in-out cannel gouges, work great, good steel.)

The Hamlet tools I have used are turning tools, and they hold an edge well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy some of their turning tools if I needed something and Hamlet made them.

As my experience with Hamelt was positive, I would try their chisels if they were less than the Henry Taylors.

Mike

Alf":30wk92xm said:
Waka":30wk92xm said:
Thanks but i have found some HT's on the Axminster site
Henry Taylors? Be prepared to do a lot of back flattening. They will polish the damn things and the edges are as rounded as a round thing. :evil: By the time I'd flattened mine I sent back the others I'd ordered as too much like hard work.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for that Alf, maybe I'll think again.

Waka

Have you considered Japanese cranked paring chisels? I have a couple of these that I really like and use a lot.

I also have the LV bullnose shoulder plane. It's a great wee plane but I can't say I've ever taken the toe off and used it as a chisel plane ....at least not in anger on a piece of wood that mattered!

Cheers

Forgot to say - I have a Crown cranked paring chisel too but, hey, you live and learn, eh! :roll: :lol:

I think flattening backs is a great bore and hardship but I wouldn't send a tool back for it if that was the only problem. HT's are not great in this department but they do make the chisel! Apparently, so do Hamlet but HT were the only kid on the block when I bought mine.

I have since learnt to modify chisels by heating, bending tempering etc - prompted by my carving needs. So these days, I might make a cranked chisel out of a regular long paring chisel and a few degrees centigrade..

waterhead37":2pc73oun said:
I think flattening backs is a great bore and hardship but I wouldn't send a tool back for it if that was the only problem.
They were shockers and the fit and finish overall was poor; damned if I'm paying all that for new chisels needing that much work. It only encourages the manufacturer into thinking they're all right. Sooner get old ones. But as it is, I hardly ever use that one, so I haven't bothered.

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back