LV Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I was not planning on going in the workshop to turn this as I had something else I wanted to complete.
Anyway, this is a box made from Lignum Vitae and measures 4" X 3" to the top of the finial/handle. Sanded to 2000grit using woodwax 22 as a lubricant as I feel it needed nothing else as it looks OK
Only 17 more balls to go and one small one not sure what to make with them

DSCF1512 (1024x723).jpg
DSCF1515 (1024x724).jpg
DSCF1516 (1024x767).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1512 (1024x723).jpg
    DSCF1512 (1024x723).jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 390
  • DSCF1515 (1024x724).jpg
    DSCF1515 (1024x724).jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 391
  • DSCF1516 (1024x767).jpg
    DSCF1516 (1024x767).jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 388
That looks nice. How was the LV to work with? I have a 6" blank that I will get around to sometime soon and I expect it's going to require a lot of tool resharpening.

That looks like one of those pieces that's going to be around long after we have gone by the wayside, you see such pieces coming to light on some antiques programs, made of virtually indestructible substrate and soundly proportioned to stand the knocks of life.

Dalboy":27zosndp said:
I was not planning on going in the workshop to turn this as I had something else I wanted to complete.
Anyway, this is a box made from Lignum Vitae and measures 4" X 3" to the top of the finial/handle. Sanded to 2000grit using woodwax 22 as a lubricant as I feel it needed nothing else as it looks OK
Only 17 more balls to go and one small one not sure what to make with them

Didn't know anything about Lignum Vitae, so I looked it up. Crikey! Indistructable, self lubricating, used as bearing for ship engines and clocks, police truncheons- astonishing stuff! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignum_vitae

There's probably far more than Wikipedia knows. Will have to plant a few trees. I already have some paulonia seed on the way - another mad tree - from seed to 30metre tree in 10 years, allegedly.

CHJ":yxc5zowa said:
That looks like one of those pieces that's going to be around long after we have gone by the wayside, you see such pieces coming to light on some antiques programs, made of virtually indestructible substrate and soundly proportioned to stand the knocks of life.

Thank you Chas. Certainly will last the wood certainly will take the knocks

Trainee neophyte":yxc5zowa said:
Didn't know anything about Lignum Vitae, so I looked it up. Crikey! Indistructable, self lubricating, used as bearing for ship engines and clocks, police truncheons- astonishing stuff! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignum_vitae

There's probably far more than Wikipedia knows. Will have to plant a few trees. I already have some paulonia seed on the way - another mad tree - from seed to 30metre tree in 10 years, allegedly.

I have it in the form of bowls balls and have made a carving mallet from one in the past as it will take plenty of stick

Steliz":yxc5zowa said:
That looks nice. How was the LV to work with? I have a 6" blank that I will get around to sometime soon and I expect it's going to require a lot of tool resharpening.

You need to have sharp tools to work it and take a few extra trips to the sharpening station it takes a good cut from a scraper. With some careful turning, you can get a great finish straight off of the tool.

Very nice, Derek - you've got to be pleased with that. What gorgeous wood. Great box!

stewart":2739vf9d said:
Very nice, Derek - you've got to be pleased with that. What gorgeous wood. Great box!

Thank you Stewart it is a great piece of wood which is better in real life as you can really see the grain even better than a photo

Latest posts

Back