LV Bevel Up Smoother - a review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
Below is a link to my recently completed review of the LV Bevel Up Smoother.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~derekcohen/reviews/bus/index.html

It was assessed alongside the LV Low Angle Smoother, HNT Gordon Smoother, and Stanley #4 1/2 (T12).

My thanks to Mike (MikeW) who provided critique and helped upload the data to my webspace.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Just finished reading it, Derek. Excellent job; I'm embarrassed to call my efforts "reviews" in comparison. But man, you've got to get yourself some L-N's to compare to. I'm sure your SWMBO will understand it's only for the good of the woodworking community. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Alf. Coming from you that is high praise.

you've got to get yourself some L-N's to compare to

Ahh, but I know your secret wish is to do a comparison of the LN 4 1/2 and LV BUS, so I have left this one just for you. :D

Regards from Perth

Derek

That was a very informative and in depth review, thanks Derek.

These are really wondrous times we live in just now aren't they, not only are their new companies making hand planes, but they are even introducing new designs and refinements. I doubt I will ever deal with any wood as severe as that which Derek used but the BUS seems intriguing all the same.

you've got to get yourself some L-N's to compare to

Ahh, but I know your secret wish is to do a comparison of the LN 4 1/2 and LV BUS, so I have left this one just for you. :D
Hell and damnation, you saw right through me. #-o I sharn't mind one bit if someone beats me to it, y'know... [-o< :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Superb review; wonderful mixture of facts, measurements and personal viewpoint all wrapped in great use of language.

BugBear

Excellent! =D>
Thanks Derek-an in-depth, thorough review. I agree with you that the BUS is a dream of a plane-it feels so "down" on the surface and unstoppable! :lol:
Keep up the good work,
Philly :D

Waka":3cmy9l4c said:
Derek

Brillient review, with Alf and now you giving reviews on planes how can we go wrong with our purchases.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: By buying everything they recommend! You'll go broke even faster than with Philly advising you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's my mind made up then..... :D

Thanks Derek. Great review

Awesome review Derek! The only problem that I'm having now is trying to decide if I should get the jointer with it's intro special or the BUS? I want the BUS, bad. But the jointer w/ the free fence is a great deal. :cry:

On another note, your review mentioned setting up the LV planes with a 62 degree cutting angle, with this being the closest angle to 60 that the LV Honing Guide Mk II + the bedding angle can be set. Actually, there are 45 degree and 50 degree settings for the "red zone" on the guide and there is a detent between the 45 and 50 detents that references 35 degrees in the "yellow zone." That would correspond to about 47 degrees and then you can add in one degree with the micro-bevel eccentric roller + 12 degrees bedding gets you to 60 degrees. :p

ydb1md wrote
there is a detent between the 45 and 50 detents that references 35 degrees in the "yellow zone." That would correspond to about 47 degrees and then you can add in one degree with the micro-bevel eccentric roller + 12 degrees bedding gets you to 60 degrees.

Mmm... my calculations are: 45 degrees primary bevel+2 degrees microbevel+12 degrees bed angle = 59 degrees.

So next best is: 50 degree primary (as a microbevel)+12 degrees bed angle = 62 degrees.

Try as I may, I cannot come up with a 60 degree cutting angle on a bevel up plane using the LV Honing Guide Mk II.

Regards from Perth

Derek

ydb1md wrote
Mmm... my calculations are: 45 degrees primary bevel+2 degrees microbevel+12 degrees bed angle = 59 degrees.

So next best is: 50 degree primary (as a microbevel)+12 degrees bed angle = 62 degrees.

Try as I may, I cannot come up with a 60 degree cutting angle on a bevel up plane using the LV Honing Guide Mk II.
Derek

I just meant to point out that there is a unmarked detent between the 45 and 50 degree marks that would give about 47 degrees.

Back