lutz panel saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I'm new to woodwork allthough I have been interested all my adult life but never had the time until now. Anyway I have just built myself a workshop and have started to equip it. so working on a very strict budget of £450 I want to buy a saw and I have found the Lutz Jumbo at Southern Woodworking, but being some distance from them I can't get to see one and I wondered if anyone out there had one or knew anything about them. I would grateful of any help.

Hi Tom

DO NOT, and I repeat Do NOT buy this saw. I bought the Lutx Maxuum combination machine which has a saw and sliding carriage similar to this saw.

1. The fence is absolutely terrible and jams constantly.
2. The blade developed severe runout caused by the arbour bracket becoming misaligned.
3. They had no clue how to fix it so I had to have a go myself and although I fixed the runout no matter how much I tighten the motor/bracket assembly the belt *still* slips and my saw struggles to cut through 2" of softwood.
4. The mitre gauge is a joke. It is a crappy plastic thing more like a toy.
5. The mitre slot is not a slot it's more like a slot with two round beads and thus you cannot use anything other than the supplied crappy mitre gauge. I actually had a 3/4" slot machined in the sliding table in order to take standard T track.

The staff at Southern Woodworking are as helpful as they can be whilst not really knowing much about these machines. I spent about £1500 on the maxxum and if I could send it back I would but they simply refuse even though it is faulty and because I am in Glasgow I would have to pay £70 to ship it back to them to fix.

I will NEVER EVER buy Lutz again. To think I sold my Metabo Magnum table saw to fund this piece of rubbish. I could cry. :-(

YOU SOLD YOUR METABO SAW! :evil:

Well, I've always wondered if the "lutz" stuff is any good. It looks to cheap for what it claims to be.

Anyhow, thanks for saying all of that... And welcome to the forums from the UKW staff!

Thanks for the welcome James

It's not quite as bad as it sounds. I bought the Metabo saw at auction for £120 and it was a TK1693. What an excellent machine for anybody considering a Metabo saw. However, I simply didn't have space for it, a decent planer/thicknesser, a router table, and a workbench as well as storage and assembly space, so I sold it for £650 and put £500 of my hard earned towards the maxxum. Worst £500 I ever spent, but given that I made over £500 on the Metabo it isn't quite so heartbreaking I suppose.

I wish I had the Metabo back and spend the money on a decent individual machines, as I have now built myself a 300sqft workshop in the back garden! :cry:

Back