Luthier's Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxh

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a project to make a small plane designed with lutherie in mind but it should be useful for other small woodwork. It is of “sandwich” construction, rather like plane designs by Robert Wearing and James Krenov but it is all metal. The materials are brass and bright mild steel plate and barstock. The iron is made of gauge plate (O1 steel).

Attachments

• IMG_6752C.jpg
    IMG_6752C.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_6743C.jpg
    IMG_6743C.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_6742C.jpg
    IMG_6742C.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_6740C.jpg
    IMG_6740C.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_6738C.jpg
    IMG_6738C.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_6737C.jpg
    IMG_6737C.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 653
Looks cool. How do you find it compares with other small planes? Or, I suppose, where would you use it in lutherie in preference to a block plane - just trying to figure out whether I 'need' to make one :). Also, re the little holes in the side - the forward one is the bearing for the lever cap, but what about the second?
Cheers
Richard

Thanks Richard. It is about the same length as a block plane but the iron is only 3/4" wide, which allows a good view when planing a narrow edge, as in the photo below of planing down the linings of a mandolin to be flush with the ribs. It is also very heavy for its size, being almost a solid lump of metal. This is helpful for shooting and the threaded hole in the side is to allow attachment of a handle for this purpose (a bit like a Record T5 plane). There is also a threaded hole in the back end to allow attachment of another handle to help two handed use. All a bit experimental but it was a fun thing to make.

Attachments

• IMG_6780C.jpg
    IMG_6780C.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 545
Shooting end grain yew:

Attachments

• IMG_6763C.jpg
    IMG_6763C.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 545
The rear handle in place:

Attachments

• IMG_6770C.jpg
    IMG_6770C.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 545
Intelligent work based innovative design, beautiful workmanship and flawless finishing as always.
As inspirational as ever.
=D> =D> =D> =D>
Thanks for sharing.
Regards as always,
Chris

that small plane must plane with authority!

that kind of density would be useful on small (very) hardwood bits.

I made a narrow dense infill plane years ago and then never figured out what to do with it until I started making tools (and now intermittently, guitars). Little sledgehammers like those are great for narrow or thin high hardness wood.

rxh":eu6y7tr9 said:
Thanks Richard. It is about the same length as a block plane but the iron is only 3/4" wide, which allows a good view when planing a narrow edge, as in the photo below of planing down the linings of a mandolin to be flush with the ribs. It is also very heavy for its size, being almost a solid lump of metal. This is helpful for shooting and the threaded hole in the side is to allow attachment of a handle for this purpose (a bit like a Record T5 plane). There is also a threaded hole in the back end to allow attachment of another handle to help two handed use. All a bit experimental but it was a fun thing to make.

Thanks...maybe I do need to make one :). I like the handles too.

cheers
Richard

Wow that's a lovely piece of workmanship. I love hand made planes. I need to get back and finish my mitre plane. Its been 'resting' for the last 12 months :(

Back