Luthiers Friend - Inlay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrison85

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have started doing abit of inlay work and after seeing Steve Latta's new DVD on ornamental bandings I thought I would give it a go.
Now on the DVD he mentions a Luthiers friend (a small drum sander mounted to a pillar drill to sand planed wood to thickness) and I was wondering if anyone has used / seen one or where I might be able to obtain one? All the best

Dan.

I have a dim memory that Robert Wearing lists a stringing thicknesser in Woodwork Aids and Devices, but that he also (in a later magazine article) berated himself for missing a trick, and presented a simpler design with better performance.

I have the former book, but only a memory of the latter article - can anyone help?

BugBear

bugbear":3bs3l3sa said:
I have a dim memory that Robert Wearing lists a stringing thicknesser in Woodwork Aids and Devices, but that he also (in a later magazine article) berated himself for missing a trick, and presented a simpler design with better performance.

I have the former book, but only a memory of the latter article - can anyone help?

Details are in his other book "The Resourceful Woodworker", pages 128 - 130. Not sure whether this is the improved version or the original one.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":zzxfdead said:
bugbear":zzxfdead said:

Details are in his other book "The Resourceful Woodworker", pages 128 - 130. Not sure whether this is the improved version or the original one.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I used the British Library catalogues to get publishing dates:

Aids and devices lists as London : Evans, 1981, "resourceful woodworker" as Batsford, 1991, so your idea is certainly possible.

BugBear

I have just finished my inlay thicknesser, the design was taken from ’Popular Woodworking Magazine’ (November 2011 #193). The frog and plane iron were kindly donated by my Dad, although he didn’t know it at the time!

Inlay_Thicknesser%201.jpg

Inlay_Thicknesser%202.jpg

The first test seems to indicate it’s capable of consistent thicknessing, and the frog adjustment makes it easy to finely set up.

Inlay_Thicknesser%203.jpg

Chris

Oooooh! I like that. Got too many no.4 planes...

Are the squares decoration, or part of the construction? Loose tenons?

Hi,
Thanks for the comments, I’m pleased with the way it came out and that it works.

Mike,
I’m very new to woodworking, and so turned this jig into a bit of a project – testing my ability to hand plane the wood flat, square & to the right dimensions and to mark out & saw accurately.

It is made it up with 4 pieces of maple because I didn’t have a large enough block of wood. I have a router plane that I like to find an excuse to use, so I routed out two channels in each piece of wood and inserted strips of beech. This made the gluing easier as the wood could only slide in one direction. I’m not sure if they are loose tenons, that’s a new term to me, but the squares you mention are the ends of the beech strips.

All the best,

Chris

It's nice to see a variation of tools all to achieve at the end of the day one result, thinning stringing and banding. Chris (rosewood) that's some smart work you have done. (By the way you will only get away with the words I am very new to woodworking once). :lol: With that piece of work it will have showed more than a few on here. Keep up the good work. Better to show your Dad the comments first then tell him where some of his plane has gone.

All the best

Malcolm

Latest posts

Back