Luthier Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter_h

Established Member
Reaction score
Good evening all,

I have been setting up a workshop for sometime now. Life constantly gets in the way, but I have made some progress. This all started about 5 years ago.

This is very much a retrospective view of what has been achieved so far at this point and I am hoping I will find the drive to achieve my ultimate goal.

A FULLY FUNCTIONING LUTHIER WORKSHOP.

Step 1: Space

Step 1: Space
Workshop
I purchased a log cabin from a UK supplier which my dad and I built:

It's 4.5m x 2.5m. I modified it to have a partitioned shed section with an area originally designed as an art studio for my wife. As it was left unused for 3 years it was agreed I could convert it to a space for woodworking.

Attachments

• IMG_20190225_074859286.jpg
    IMG_20190225_074859286.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20181201_082307584.jpg
    IMG_20181201_082307584.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180519_103241447_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180519_103241447_HDR.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 0
Step 2: Power
Something to consider is running power, whilst I was aware of this requirement my needs are very limited, intermittent and therefore could not warrant paying for a fixed armoured power line and breaker being installed at the time. (I wish I had when we had the guys in to do the plinth, but we didn't).

I simply run a 15m power cable from the lounge socket out the lounge window. I am not running high power equipment so it works for my situation.

Last edited:
Step 3: Equipment
Workbench: custom build based on my own design.
Bandsaw: purchased what I could get hold of during lockdown. Built a stand and replaced the stock blade with a premium blade from tuffsaws.

Attachments

• PXL_20220403_182500886.jpg
    PXL_20220403_182500886.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220403_182514215.jpg
    PXL_20220403_182514215.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Router:
I have a Clarke's router which I am unsure of it's capability to achieve what I want. But hope it will do what I need for guitar template cutting at least.

Using the bandsaw to remove the bulk of material will hopefully reduce the pressure on the cheap router. I hope to upgrade in the future.

Hand Tools:
I have many cheap hand tools which I am replacing to gain fit for purpose tools specific for building electric guitars, tools, jigs and storage to complete this journey.

Just got me a no 7 plane. Stripped it, sharpened and rebuilt it. Truly represents the concept of buying the right tool for the job.

Step 2: Power
I simply run a 15m power cable from the lounge socket out the lounge window. I am not running high power equipment so it works for my situation.
As an absolute minimum get an RCD socket on the house end of the extension lead, to protect the cable and you.

As an absolute minimum get an RCD socket on the house end of the extension lead, to protect the cable and you.
Thanks for the advice. I do use an RCD socket. I also always unravel the lead completely and make sure that any tools I run through it do not exceed the rating.

I used to run an extension out to my shop in UK when I used to only do wood turning on a small lathe. I'd suggest putting in sockets sooner rather than later, the convenience is well worth the cost and you'll find yourself using the shop for 10-15 minutes here and there more as it doesn't take 5 minutes to set up.

Run a SWA cable to it. You are bound to want to exceed the capacity of a 2.5mm cable at some stage. Winter heating + a dust extractor +
If I was staying I would absolutely run a fixed cable, but I am in the process of moving to a property with a single garage that will make a perfect workshop.

I used to run an extension out to my shop in UK when I used to only do wood turning on a small lathe. I'd suggest putting in sockets sooner rather than later, the convenience is well worth the cost and you'll find yourself using the shop for 10-15 minutes here and there more as it doesn't take 5 minutes to set up.
Again, completely agree, pay the extra to run the facilities you may need (at least power, consider roof drainage, possibly water supply). But in this instance the next one will be outfitted as suggested. 😁

Back