luna w57 manual please!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonharper

Reaction score
Hello All
I'm rebuilding an old Luna W57 combination machine. I am desperate for anyone who has any instructions they could email me. Its a single phase model.
I have a copy of instructions (in swedish) for a 3 phase model but i need the wiring diagram for the single phase unit. I cant for the life of me fathom out how to wire in the planer/mortiser motor into the rotary switch . Both of these functions are done from a single motor and it needs to reverse for the mortiser and go forward for the planer . I know this is done by reversing the starter windings in the motor but there just don't seem to be enough switching combinations on the rotary switch to allow me to do this.
thankyou in advance

SimonHarper

I don't have any instructions now but used to own one of these machines years ago, are you sure you need to reverse the motor as mine didn't, it just used left hand slot mortice bits.

I don't have any instructions now but used to own one of these machines years ago, are you sure you need to reverse the motor as mine didn't, it just used left hand slot mortice bits.

Well i never thought of that. I just assumed that was the case. There is an old right handed router bit in the chuck which threw me.
I have a wiring diagram for the W57 /3 phase and it is clearly wired to reverse the motor direction
I also wondered why there are two positions on the selector ; one for the planer, one for the morticer and not just a combined position if the motor only needed to go clockwise.
Do you think your machine had been played around with or was fairly original?

I got my machine new so definitely not messed around, I can't really remember the selecter switch but do remember that the morticer part was pretty useless, it would cut slots at an angle as the cutter flexed while cutting only used it a few times then removed it to which made using the planer much easier, then as I got more space I separated the saw and planer into separate machines.

I got my machine new so definitely not messed around, I can't really remember the selecter switch but do remember that the morticer part was pretty useless, it would cut slots at an angle as the cutter flexed while cutting only used it a few times then removed it to which made using the planer much easier, then as I got more space I separated the saw and planer into separate machines.
thanks for the reply.
interesting that the 3phase model reversed. guess the single phase model didnt. needs more switching poles to reverse a single phase which the cam switch doesnt have
I take it you bought it in the late 70's? early eighties?
Can you remember what sort of money it was then? Must have been a substantial investment

Yes your time scale would be about right, but haven't the foggiest what I paid for it, I remember it came from Woodmen machines in Bicester and I still have the spindle tooling that I got with it at the time I also still have a collet that holds a router cutter in the top of spindle moulder, it was for use with a dovetail jig.

Back