Luna P/T with 16 amp commando socket

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainpk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

With the help of three friends this morning, I managed to move the p/t to my house.

Hooray!!!

My next problem, I bought a 16amp commando socket to a 13amp plug, hoping it would not draw enough current to blow the fuse. I was wrong it blew the 13 amp fuse.

So I am now looking at ideas to fix this.

1. Connect a cable to an existing socket and run a spur into the cable I bought (cutting of the plug). Thus using the circuit breaker as the fuse and not the plugs fuse. My worry here is if the circuit breaker is higher than 16amp, then I could draw too much current.

** EDIT, I think I am right in saying that the circuit breaker will higher than 16amps - I think it's 20 amps (or 32 amps in some cases) - so this will be a no no.

2. Change the fuse in the plug from 13 amps to 16 amps. Is this a safe practice?
3. Look to get a new board installed by my electrician where I have a 16 amp circuit. If I did this would it be beneficial to change other tools to the commando style sockets - table saw and band saw?

Any thoughts?

The end result will be phoning my electrician and getting his opinion, but just wanted to try and work out my options first.

My only advice to you is don't do either of your first two suggestions unless you actually want to burn your house down...

The first rule is that any fuse in an electrical system is there to protect the wire that follows it, so that excess current is not passed over a wire that can't cope with the load. The result of forcing the issue is melting insulation, a short circuit and an electrical fire in that order.

Run a dedicated 16 amp circuit from your existing consumer unit with the correct fusing and sized cabling, or rather get a proper electrician to do it. You'll probably need a certain type of MCB to deal with the startup surge that your planer will draw.

I could tell you what all these should be, and you could google it immediately but I really think you should get a spark to do it.

My local sparky will be getting called today. I have an old type of circuit breakers with out any room for expansion. So good excuse for an upgrade. Will also probably get an isolator switch on the sockets, to stop any young hands starting machines. Currently it's impossible to do this setup as the garage door works of one of the sockets.

Hopefully will not cost too much!

Back