Lumberjack PT305 - thoughts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petey83

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been contemplating a cheapo PT for a while but decided to up the budget a bit and was looking at the Metabo Hc260 but then came accross this from Lumberjack for under a £100 more than the Metabo

https://www.lumberjacktools.co.uk/produ ... zontalTab1

It seems to be very similar to the Axminster Hobby PT260 but with obviously more capacity. It's specified as a cast iron bed with an alu fence and looking at the pictures the need does look to be cast iron and I'm assuming it's the beds corrugated to make it less work to get flat during manufacturing.

Lumberjack seem to be everywhere when I search tools over the last few months - anyone here got any real experience of them and the company itself?

I have a lumberjack router table which was very inexpensive, under £200.00 for what it is, built in motor with lift and speed control its very good, had to change the fence, but that was all, if that planner thicknesser lives up to its specification I would put it in the bargain bracket, pay by PayPal if possible then its not hassle to send it back and get a re-fund, do let us know what you decide to do.

MikeJhn":30o1j9mt said:
I have a lumberjack router table which was very inexpensive, under £200.00 for what it is, built in motor with lift and speed control its very good, had to change the fence, but that was all, if that planner thicknesser lives up to its specification I would put it in the bargain bracket, pay by PayPal if possible then its not hassle to send it back and get a re-fund, do let us know what you decide to do.

Sadly it's a cast aluminium surfacing table and not iron so not the bargain if the century but I have to say they are very friendly and helpful to speak to and I suspect the products will be of decent quality.

For me it's maybe a case of it being a little to big for my workshop compared to the Metabo and giv n it's not cast iron I'm not sure it's worth the space sacrifice

MikeJhn":smge0bdn said:
Hmm trade description act anyone?
I think it's teething problems of a relatively new growing business as opposed to deliberate misleading. In all honesty they didn't know for sure if it was iron or alu when I called and had to go test it. The thicknesser bed is cast iron but sadly the tables are not.

I've gone for the Metabo - cheaper and more size friendly in my workshop. If the Lumberjack machine had been cast iron surfacing tables I'd have likely made the extra space.

I did speak to the guy there about there new cast iron topped table saw and it seems a lot of saw for the cash - apparently they'll be doing professional product videos once COVID restrictions ease.

Lumberjack is a brand owned by a tool shop (not a big one like screwfix or anything) in the UK, they sell a lot of rebrands from what I can see. Their big tablesaw is a Rigid clone and I've seen a PT that was a dead ringer for a Titan but I think it was twice the price?

DBT85":1ylsdvez said:
Lumberjack is a brand owned by a tool shop (not a big one like screwfix or anything) in the UK, they sell a lot of rebrands from what I can see. Their big tablesaw is a Rigid clone and I've seen a PT that was a dead ringer for a Titan but I think it was twice the price?

The Titan clone is not a direct clone as such. All the bench top machines are of the same pattern but spec varies this price varies. The Lumberjack one is bigger capacity and a better fence than the Titan plus it has a leg stand (for what that's worth to some). The Eruber is closest in spec on paper and is £100 cheaper but without seeing both in the flesh it would be hard to say.

As for the table saw, the big cast iron top one interests me but if want to wait until I can go and see and touch before parting with the thick end of £800.

Aside from that I'm happy with my Metabo HC260. Set up was a pain and the knives were not even close to being set from the factory but all said and done it's a decent machine for the money and a good small workshop size.

Back