Lumberjack / Excel router table advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I’ve got wood worm!

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all.
Upon seeing that Lumberjack was a British brand (always thought of it being American, probably due to the brand name), and a good working review on it by Bongo at The Poultry People, I’ve decided to order it. Trouble is, it’s out of stock everywhere... Hold on with me people.
I’ve seen an identical model by the brand Excel. I know other brands copy models, such as the Metabo thicknesser’s, I assume they have the rights and license to produce the design, but how does the quality hold up usually?
The router table seems to be made of the same materials (judging by photos only), pressed steel table, sturdy steel fence, ABS high impact plastic etc.
Hopefully the motor is the same... the price is very similar so one would hope...

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thanks in advance.
Dave.
Humble Wood Designs.

Attachments

• CFD4C082-EC45-4809-B6E8-C608AB5B670C.png
    CFD4C082-EC45-4809-B6E8-C608AB5B670C.png
    260.6 KB · Views: 18
  • F918A927-98E2-41C5-8D17-C681576CF9EE.png
    F918A927-98E2-41C5-8D17-C681576CF9EE.png
    291.9 KB · Views: 19
Oh and both Lumberjack and Excel are based in the West Midlands, so maybe they have agreed something, like to use the exact same model, design and motor?
I can’t see anything on their respective websites though.
Think I’ll order the excel one if there are no strong warnings posted here.

Myfordman is correct I think, if you go on Alibaba you can see the exact same models as many budget brands (Clarke, Lumberjack, Titan, Silverline etc). They are just rebranding stock products from China.

ages ago, in the middle of a job my router quit.....
needed 1 pronto.....just an hours work......
only place available was B+Q...bought their branded one.....
took it back on the way home for a refund.....hopeless....but it did get the job finished ...just....
think about a seperate table and buy a branded router.....it doesn't have to be new.....
plenty of good used stuff about.....could get a load of cutters with it.....
my r/table has a dedicated 3hp Hitachi under it....thinking about building a router lift....mmmmmm

ages ago, in the middle of a job my router quit.....
needed 1 pronto.....just an hours work......
only place available was B+Q...bought their branded one.....
took it back on the way home for a refund.....hopeless....but it did get the job finished ...just....
think about a seperate table and buy a branded router.....it doesn't have to be new.....
plenty of good used stuff about.....could get a load of cutters with it.....
my r/table has a dedicated 3hp Hitachi under it....thinking about building a router lift....mmmmmm
I presume it was not the same as these Chinese models?

Well I’ve bought the Excel one, due in a few days. I’ll let you all know what it’s like once I’ve tested it thoroughly. Thought it was worth a punt at the price. It was the lift wheel really that sold it, easy bit change and height change is the USP for me.

I had the Lumberjack variant and it was pretty good. The fence it came with was terrible and I upgraded it, but otherwise it served me well until I had the chance to upgrade to a cast-iron table.

My two tips from using it are to make sure that the collect is square to the table (I had to shim mine from the underside) and to periodically flip it upside down and tighten everything up - the holding bolts come loose after a while.

All in all, I was pleased with mine for the money and really liked it a lot.

If the Rutlands one is rubbish and a rebadged version of the Excel one will that not be the same? I am fairly agnostic to Rutlands - I have a couple of things from them and they are fine... they do seem to have much better stock control than some other companies... and a much better website! Will be interested to see how you get on with it as I am looking at the same table as a possible purchase soon...

Well I’ve bought the Excel one, due in a few days. I’ll let you all know what it’s like once I’ve tested it thoroughly. Thought it was worth a punt at the price. It was the lift wheel really that sold it, easy bit change and height change is the USP for me.
How are gou getting on with the Excel table IGWW?

Yes thanks for reminding me.
I’ve not used it extensively yet, though I have a fair bit of work planned with it in the next week. From my exploratory use, I’m really happy with it. I didn’t expect too much but am pleasantly surprised.
The sides are hard plastic, it comes with rubber foot pads to stop it moving around a little and the top surface is sturdy.
The fence is a little flimsy but as long as you don’t expect too much then you can make sure to not ‘lean’ on it too much and it doesn’t affect quality.

The feature that enticed me the most was its built in motor and lift. The motors power is ample though I’ve not run too much hardwood through it yet. The lift is great and makes it very accessible.

Overall, I’m pleased with it, especially for the price and expect it to last a fair few years and be a valuable part of my shop.
The only downside I can see is that when fully wound down, it doesn’t quite conceal the router bit attached. Since I have a built in table saw next to the built in router table, the bit may get in the way of table sun runoff. Easy enough to remove the bit to avoid this when necessary though. An extra 30 seconds is not the end of the world!
(note that this only happens with me larger bits and when they’re not pushed all the way down into the collet)

I hope this helps someone in their decision. In conclusion I would recommend this machine, great value for the money.
😊

IMO bypass this. Get an off cut kitchen work top and make your own. It will be far better

Oooooops too late😉😉

Back