Lumberjack BS305 12" Bandsaw Unpacking, Assembly & First Impressions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikej460

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Many years ago I was the proud owner of a Startrite 301S but had to sell it when we moved house as I had nowhere to safely store it - big mistake in hindsight given the price of them now I should have put it in the lounge with a vase of flowers on it. Anyway I had the opportunity to buy a replacement but couldn't find anything decent enough that was within my budget so I decided to buy a budget model and upgrade it after the cost of my new shop fades from my wife's memory. So I bought me a Lumberjack BS305 12" Bandsaw. The full description and spec is here:

Lumberjack Tools - Lumberjack BS305 - 305mm Bandsaw 12 Inch Woodworking - Bandsaw -

Here are my first impressions of my new bandsaw as I unpacked, assembled and ran it up. I've assembled it in my nice, dry toolshed until my new shop is built so excuse the mess.

There was some minor damage to the box but no damage whatsoever to the saw, so that was a good enough start. For once in my life I followed the manual which is surprisingly very good:

IMG_20210119_102750.jpg

Assembly was a simple case of bolting on the legs, table top and fence rail - all very straight forward and all holes lined up ok. The table had no defects in the casting and, after a couple of minor adjustments, perfectly level (I have yet to test flatness with a straight edge). The quality of the surface was ok but not the nice shiny surface I would like. The overall build quality of the bandsaw exceeded my expectations however. I took the layer of protective grease off the table with a WD40 Degreaser (which is good stuff) and put a thin layer of camellia oil on it, I've also ordered some machine wax.

The fence was horizontally square to the rail

IMG_20210119_132316.jpg

But disappointingly not vertically square to the table, so I adjusted it to get it as square as I could but the fence face just isn't flat, the square touches at the bottom and top but looks to be slightly cupped in the middle. It's good enough for now but I will upgrade it at some point.

IMG_20210119_144831.jpg

There was also a raised dimple on the rail ruler (under the blue '3') which feels like something is stuck behind it. I'm not sure how to fix this so may have to live with it.

IMG_20210119_142114[1].jpg

The insert sits below the table surface and work will catch on it, so this needs upgrading but I might just shim it up.

IMG_20210119_150150.jpg

The blade was perfectly central on the wheel from the start but I took a bit of tension off, there was also a bit of a rumble from the lower pulley so I checked the belt tension and as I suspected it was over-tensioned but really easy to adjust as per the manual, however the belt tensioner felt sloppy.

IMG_20210119_142026[1].jpg

There's a nice bright flexible torch, a hook for the push stick and a tool holder for allen keys and spanner (around the back). The dust port is well made with a sprung cap and it fits an array of hose sizes. However, there is a dust collection pan under the main body (similar to the ash pan on our woodburner - what are they saying :oops:) that collects dust if no dust extractor is used.

IMG_20210119_135147[1].jpg

Anyway here it is fully assembled:

IMG_20210119_142854[1].jpg
IMG_20210119_142953[1].jpg

I ran a piece of scrap 3 x 2 through it and the results weren't bad but the blade isn't the best quality so I'll fit a better one.

IMG_20210119_150006[1].jpg

Overall, I'm pleased with this bandsaw and will update this thread once I've checked the flatness of the table and used it for a while.

..good initial review!

..did you consider any other makes before selecting this one, and if so what made this one your preferred choice. (I have been looking at the Schepach Basa 3)...

Have you got a replacement fence in mind? The one on my Record is a bit naff and the most common replacement seems to be the Axminster one.

Looks a nice machine though overall.

Many years ago I was the proud owner of a Startrite 301S but had to sell it when we moved house as I had nowhere to safely store it - big mistake in hindsight given the price of them now I should have put it in the lounge with a vase of flowers on it. Anyway I had the opportunity to buy a replacement but couldn't find anything decent enough that was within my budget so I decided to buy a budget model and upgrade it after the cost of my new shop fades from my wife's memory. So I bought me a Lumberjack BS305 12" Bandsaw. The full description and spec is here:

Lumberjack Tools - Lumberjack BS305 - 305mm Bandsaw 12 Inch Woodworking - Bandsaw -

Here are my first impressions of my new bandsaw as I unpacked, assembled and ran it up. I've assembled it in my nice, dry toolshed until my new shop is built so excuse the mess.

There was some minor damage to the box but no damage whatsoever to the saw, so that was a good enough start. For once in my life I followed the manual which is surprisingly very good:

View attachment 101353

Assembly was a simple case of bolting on the legs, table top and fence rail - all very straight forward and all holes lined up ok. The table had no defects in the casting and, after a couple of minor adjustments, perfectly level (I have yet to test flatness with a straight edge). The quality of the surface was ok but not the nice shiny surface I would like. The overall build quality of the bandsaw exceeded my expectations however. I took the layer of protective grease off the table with a WD40 Degreaser (which is good stuff) and put a thin layer of camellia oil on it, I've also ordered some machine wax.

The fence was horizontally square to the rail

View attachment 101355

But disappointingly not vertically square to the table, so I adjusted it to get it as square as I could but the fence face just isn't flat, the square touches at the bottom and top but looks to be slightly cupped in the middle. It's good enough for now but I will upgrade it at some point.

View attachment 101356

There was also a raised dimple on the rail ruler (under the blue '3') which feels like something is stuck behind it. I'm not sure how to fix this so may have to live with it.

View attachment 101368

The insert sits below the table surface and work will catch on it, so this needs upgrading but I might just shim it up.

View attachment 101357

The blade was perfectly central on the wheel from the start but I took a bit of tension off, there was also a bit of a rumble from the lower pulley so I checked the belt tension and as I suspected it was over-tensioned but really easy to adjust as per the manual, however the belt tensioner felt sloppy.

View attachment 101359

There's a nice bright flexible torch, a hook for the push stick and a tool holder for allen keys and spanner (around the back). The dust port is well made with a sprung cap and it fits an array of hose sizes. However, there is a dust collection pan under the main body (similar to the ash pan on our woodburner - what are they saying :oops:) that collects dust if no dust extractor is used.

View attachment 101374

Anyway here it is fully assembled:

View attachment 101370View attachment 101371

I ran a piece of scrap 3 x 2 through it and the results weren't bad but the blade isn't the best quality so I'll fit a better one.

View attachment 101373

Overall, I'm pleased with this bandsaw and will update this thread once I've checked the flatness of the table and used it for a while.

Good sized bearing guides....

Looks like a good step up from the 10" one I have.

Cheers James

Have you got a replacement fence in mind? The one on my Record is a bit naff and the most common replacement seems to be the Axminster one.

Looks a nice machine though overall.
No not yet Bill, I've looked at Axminster and Kreg but both need holes in the side of the table and mine screws in underneath so would need brackets making.

..good initial review!

..did you consider any other makes before selecting this one, and if so what made this one your preferred choice. (I have been looking at the Schepach Basa 3)...
Thanks..I didn't seriously look at any other new ones to be honest as the ones I liked were outside my budget so I was hell bent on getting a better quality 2nd hand one (which is what many on this forum would suggest if you're on a limited budget). I couldn't find anything that appealed on eBay then I came across some reviews of Lumberjack models on YouTube; I then found a great deal on Mano Mano (£100 off plus free circle cutter and free delivery) for the BS305 but they've none in stock now.

I bought one of these last year, the fence on mine is rubbish. When I engage the locking lever it off sets by a couple of mm. and I can't get it to be true without using external clamps. I bought the Kreg fence system a couple of weeks ago, which was a mistake too as a) it's way too big and needs cutting down and b) I need to do major drilling and tapping to the table for it to fit.
I didn't want to spend more than £350 or so at the time but with the Kreg fence and the hassle I wish I'd gone for a £500 model either new or second hand.
I only use it for musical instrument making and is adequate for that, but not overly impressed.

Back