Lumberjack Bench Grinder Bgs 125

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awac

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried this horizontal grinder? Have tried asking the company on line how much replacement stones are, to be told its so new they have no spares…….thank you. Er, how can you buy without being able to get consumable parts? Maybe it will not last that long? Who are lumberjack? Part of toolsave, but who are they?

It depends on what you need it for. The 2850 rpm wheel may appeal to wood turners but no use for bench chisels whereas I would like the 320 rpm water wheel for regrinding bench chisels and planes. I used an oil version at college night school many years ago and it did a great job of renovating my ham fisted attempts sharpening my chisels.

I have always fancied a Makita 9820-2 horizontal wheel, nothing else on it apart from a slow wet stone, simple, but where to get one? I have a pro-edge which is superb, but for my carving chisels, when I am not using my oil stones, I feel I want something a little calmer.

Know any horizontal alternatives?

You get what you pay for, not just in the machine but in the after service, and if they can not even supply a wearing part, I can not look at it. Who are lumberjack though?

Most grinders follow industry standard sizes so before ruling it out because of spare wheels availability from the seller, contact an industrial supplier like Norton Abrasives with the diameter, thickness, that it is on a steel back/plate and the link to the machine and ask them if needed can they supply one. As for needing a replacement the machine is likely going to be worn out before the wheel is. 😉

Pete

lumberjack is prob just another copy machine from Asia...
unless u buy it from somebody like Screwfix or B+Q (they are DIY chains in the UK) ur gonna loose.....
plenty of used machines out there....
I bought a little used Wickes version....the wet stone is a little outta shape but for £5's who cares....
dont do much chizelin anyway and almost forgoten how to use a hand plane.....hahaha....
must try harder....

I will give it a miss, contacted Makita Uk and asked how I could get a 9820-2, but they do not sell in the UK, typical, and it has a good reputation for reliability….hmm. Guess I will have to make my own….

I have the Draper version of this grinder. I got it on Gumtree for about £50. I don't use the whetstone now, it's very awkward to use. The draper version has plastic angle setting guides on the whetstone, but they are so flimsy, they are pretty useless. The small white stone is 'OK' but it just won't look at TCT lathe tooling. The Axminster version seems to have a more sturdy tool rest. The whetstone is made of a very soft material. It is quite easy to take chunks from the surface if the tool catches on the stone. The flimsy Draper tool rest makes this fairly easy to do. I just noticed the Draper is machined for the more sturdy tool rest, so I might make one.

Talking about hand cranked grinders years ago a friend of mine connected one to an old sewing machine motor with foot speed control well it went round fast enough once it got up to speed but not reccomended

Talking about hand cranked grinders years ago a friend of mine connected one to an old sewing machine motor with foot speed control well it went round fast enough once it got up to speed but not reccomended
I actually enjoy my hand grinder, I find it very quick to move metal, but it is difficult for carving knifes. Chisels, gouges, axes no problem one handed, but knifes not so good. I have a “best maide” to restore which flips from vertical to horizontal which might work a little better, it is in the “queue of things to do”.

Back