Lumber Wizard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog

Established Member
Reaction score
Cost: £56.40 from Axminster (Expensive but worth it, read on)
Made from: Red coloured plastic
Power: 9v battery
Ease of use: Simple
Worth the expense: Definately but you might find it cheaper elsewhere. It is one purchase I have no regrets about!
What's it for: Detecting metallic objects hidden in timber you are going to thickness, surface plane, saw, rout etc.
Features: 6 inches wide so you can scan a board quickly for hidden metallic objects; e.g. nails, staples, broken screws etc. Will detect as deep as 150mm below the timber surface. Has a choice of audio or vibration alert, and for noisy environments has a jack socket for ear phones.
Length:380mm excluding wrist strap.

Reason for purchase:For a while I have been looking for a wide detector rather than using the more common small headed detectors for finding hidden pipes, nails etc in walls etc. If you buy rough sawn timber or use timber from skips or pallets then I'd advise getting one of these. I was lucky, before feeding pallet timber into my Axminster CT344 thicknesser I scanned the surface and in one piece of timber from a pallet I found no less than 12 staples, four headless nails and one headless screw. Saved me the trouble and cost of replacing my thicknesser blades as they have already been damaged in the past.

In addition the junior version, the Little Wizard, is a great tool too. Only a 2" depth of detection and 2" head but invaluable in the situations mentioned by Dog. Noise and light alerts only. £16 odd.

Noel

I agree Noel, the Little Wizard is just as good and much cheaper but smaller in size.

An even cheaper version of the Lumber Wizard would be a standard metal detector, normally used for coin hunting etc, the only drawback is pinpointing where the metallic object is compared to using a hand held 'Wizard' :wink:

Back