Lumber storage?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeyJay

Established Member
Reaction score
Just bought a couple of hundred pounds of hardwood for upcoming projects and realised that the only place I have to store it all, is in my workshop which, in reality, is my garage. It’s cool and dry but is it ok to store wood stacked up against the wall in there?
I should probably build some horizontal storage frame type thingy but I’ve not really got room for it!
Can’t store it in the house - my better half will go ballistic if all the wood mysteriously appears in some corner of a room!

Being British, what you have is timber.
Lumber is for colonialists.

..........Yes it will be fine.

I store all my timber as vertical as possible in my garage. So far have only had one board to bow, a nice piece of American Cherry which was annoying. The preferred method seems to be on horizontal racks, something on my to-do list but never gets done!

John

lurker":1kl58fzq said:
Being British, what you have is timber.
Lumber is for colonialists.......

.....and not even all of those. I'm pretty sure the antipodeans haven't fallen into that habit.

I don't have a rack yet but would like to build one, all is fine so far, in a similar situation, I just put them on the back wall and have not had many problems, you will always get the odd piece that bows cups or twists but that's normal.

I keep my spare wood on some Spur style slotted uprights with largeish brackets. The brackets are extended a bit by screwing battens on.
I lose a little space for the brackets but I can select a single piece of wood without having to remove everything else.

This sort of shelving is very strong, fairly cheap and much quicker than a handmade rack.

It might be a good idea on your garage wall, especially if you need to keep timber off the floor.

Another one for vertical storage - I don't have much choice with limited space for storage. ALso I'm fortunate in that the floor is bone dry.

Vertical storage? I buy lots of pieces of wood 4.8m long. I'd need either a hole in the floor, or a hole in the roof........:)

MikeG.":jpg1vhfx said:
or a hole in the roof........:)

I know a top-grade guy for that kind of work...

ColorlessLikableHypsilophodon-size_restricted.gif

I have no option but to store my hardwoods vertical. Up to 3 metres long and anything over 25 mm thick, I havent had any bow yet.

Back