Lucky me. Blade advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shankat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I’m very lucky to be being bought a Record Sabre 350 bandsaw for an upcoming birthday. Over excited. My question is about the blades. Can I ask for some views on the best bandsaw blades that are out there. Normally the ones supplied are not great although I shouldn’t dis record in this point. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks

Normally the ones supplied are not great although I shouldn’t dis record in this point.
The Record blades are total garbage, why they supply them I don't know unless they think no one wants to cut straight on a bandsaw and only do curves.

Look at Tuffsaws, Tuff Saws and you will be alright, also look at bandsaw setup as that is also important and causes many issues.

...Tuffsaws...no brainer...just got one for my record BS300...originally set up using the "stock" blade and got nothing but "curves", set up using Tuffsaws blade and perfect 90 degree straight cuts...
..also got a cheap Aldi bandsaw, got a new blade from Tuffsaws which transformed it...and still cuts really well...

Last edited:
Tuff Saws good. You might find a local saw doctor cheaper than Axminster if you look around. Some may sharpen and re-weld too.

Last edited:
You have good reason to be excited, it is an excellent machine. Just one bit of advice coming from personal experience. Do not use a blade wider than 5/8” regardless of the blade’s construction or marketing - I’ve wasted all forms of 3/4” blade unsuccessfully trying to get tension correct. No problems with a less wide blade. Regarding make, I have used Tuff Saws, Axcaliber and Record without problems. Currently using a Record 3tpi GT blade and it is outstanding.

+1 for Tuffsaws - excellent blades and service! That being said, I have set up my own new Sabre 350 in the past couple of weeks and have found the supplied blade to be quite capable - it goes through oak sleeper offcuts like a hot knife through butter, even on a cut the full depth of the sleeper (150mm). My only two real small gripes about the saw are that the supplied fence is too tall or wide for most of my work and that the dust collection could be better, but perhaps that's down to my shop vac being used rather than a 'proper' dust collector.

G.

The Record blades are total garbage, why they supply them I don't know unless they think no one wants to cut straight on a bandsaw and only do curves.

Look at Tuffsaws, Tuff Saws and you will be alright, also look at bandsaw setup as that is also important and causes many issues.
Thanks Spectric. I will take a look at Tuffsaws.

...Tuffsaws...no brainer...just got one for my record BS300...originally set up using the "stock" blade and got nothing but "curves", set up using Tuffsaws blade and perfect 90 degree straight cuts...
..also got a cheap Aldi bandsaw, got a new blade from Tuffsaws which transformed it...and still cuts really well...
Thanks Stevebod

+1 for Tuffsaws - excellent blades and service! That being said, I have set up my own new Sabre 350 in the past couple of weeks and have found the supplied blade to be quite capable - it goes through oak sleeper offcuts like a hot knife through butter, even on a cut the full depth of the sleeper (150mm). My only two real small gripes about the saw are that the supplied fence is too tall or wide for most of my work and that the dust collection could be better, but perhaps that's down to my shop vac being used rather than a 'proper' dust collector.

G.
Thanks Gordon . I’m looking forward to what the saw can do. I’m just setting up my dust collection around my new space with blast gates etc for each piece of kit. Hope it will do the job. Appreciate your feedback.

You have good reason to be excited, it is an excellent machine. Just one bit of advice coming from personal experience. Do not use a blade wider than 5/8” regardless of the blade’s construction or marketing - I’ve wasted all forms of 3/4” blade unsuccessfully trying to get tension correct. No problems with a less wide blade. Regarding make, I have used Tuff Saws, Axcaliber and Record without problems. Currently using a Record 3tpi GT blade and it is outstanding.
Thanks Chris , excellent advice.

Don't worry to much if your dust collection on your bandsaw is pants o_O a bit like extraction on table saws some are better than others but the majority leave a lot to be desired, my own despite being connected up to a 3hp extractor still fails miserably to remove the sawdust:(, yet hook it up to the 16" thickneser and it devours the chippings no problem even when pushed to the max :)

Back