Lubrication ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I know beer is best for lubricating the throat but what is best used to lubricate a bench planer table/scroll saw table etc ?

Car wax a big no no, due to silicone residuals that will contaminate any timber passing over the surface. Silicone and most finishes do not mix. Try ordinary beeswax, PTFE spray (Trend do one) paste wax or Liberon machine table finish (not one of my favourites, bit toxic) or talcum powder.

Rgds

Noel

I never use car wax myself although I have seen new yankie norm using it.
I always use a candle as I have since woodworking classes at school many years ago.

The best by far in my opinion is Liberon Lubricating Wax. I have never seen anything that comes close to this when rubbed on Cast Iron. I would throughly recommend this

John

johnjin":2b6b789f said:
The best by far in my opinion is Liberon Lubricating Wax. I have never seen anything that comes close to this when rubbed on Cast Iron.
or on aluminium cast or otherwise, I use it on my saw table, planer/thicknesser and router table and also wipe my hand planes with the waxy rag :shock:
johnjin":2b6b789f said:
I would throughly recommend this
Me as well :D 8) :D

Finally got around to joining up :wink:

Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction :)

Dewy":1afvxbzy said:
I never use car wax myself although I have seen new yankie norm using it.
I always use a candle as I have since woodworking classes at school many years ago.

Totally correct. Candle kept at the side of the machine, every time a new batch is started, draw a squiggle over the tables, quick and it works like a charm

John

Candles are the best as everybody else has suggested, they are cheep and fit easily in to the pocket of whatever you wear to work in.

Bean

.......Candle wax or bees wax for awkward shapes, Lubo on cast iron and infeed tables, Linseed oil on a wick for plane bottoms and good old fashioned talc on hand saws when they start to bind.

I use a little oregon chain saw oil on slow running gear and the rise-and-fall threaded rods on the thicjnesser.

You pays your money....

Back