lubrication for a tape measure

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheUnicorn

Established Member
Reaction score
what is best to use to lubricate a tape measure, I'm leaning towards silicone spray, on a rag wiped across the surface of the tape, maybe a quick squirt into the case once the tape is fully unwound (or would this be likely to stop the brake from working?)

You may find that the brake will not be as effective. However, if the tape is stiff, then a lubricant may solve the issue. In which case, I have been very impressed with the dry PTFE spray.

I have used it on my plunge saw guide rail, saw blades, stiff locks and Makita systainer latches to great effect. It leaves the surface smooth and dry, not wet and messy like most silicon sprays which tend to pick up dust etc.

Google dry spray PTFE, toolstation do a cheap brand that I have used as do WD_40

update, i wiped off the tape to clear off any dirt, then wiped over with some sticky stuff remover, left to evaporate off for a few minutes, another quick wipe to make sure there was no solvent left on the tape at all, then wiped over with a little bit of PTFE spray. Now works beautifully. thank you for the advice
You may find that the brake will not be as effective
suprisingly, not an issue, the brake works fine

Back