Lubricating wax for wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
I was bought one of those wood click together kits for Christmas. Hmm, I thought nice idea, I must get round to that sometime.

But after much harassment from my wife, the giver of the gift, I started it and actually, it's quite fascinating. The minds that work out the design of these things? Just amazing.

Anyway, it has a number of moving parts that need lubricating with wax according to the instructions, such as they are. I tried a candle, but that's not been successful. Doesn't seem to leave much of a layer of wax, and I need to wax in between the teeth of many, many cogs apparently, which is really tricky with a candle.

Does anyone have any experience of a lubricating wax for wood please?

Cheers.

I think that I would probably use a sanding sealer first then a paste wax or micricrystaline. The sealer will stop it being absorbed into the wood.

I have used silicon paste on bare wooden surfaces that rub together in the past, I put it on once and it still working 10 years later, in that the parts slide over each other. But I would suggest you try it on a bit of offcut first. Ian

My mate also had one of these for Xmas. It also has gears and shafts. Does yours transport a steel ball around a circuit? His kit included a little stick of paraffin wax. I've always used candle wax for this sort thing. I've used it recently on wooden clock gear teeth. It was a bit difficult to get it into the small spaces between teeth so I melted it and brushed it on.
Brian

Back