lubricating rise and fall mechanism of kity 419 saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Thought I'd start a new thread rather than tack this onto my last.

I cleaned out my saw when I got it and lubricated the rise and fall mechanism with this stuff:

7182746716_ef077cd914.jpg

It seemed fine at first but now it feels really awful. Not smooth at all. I have tried cleaning the thread and it looks like it is creating a grinding paste rather than lubricating.

I'm sure oil isnt the right thing to use on this.

I have some general purpose grease. would this be better?

I was sure dry silicone spray was the right thing to use.

Silicone in the workshop, in any form of lubricant, is not a very good idea. It gets everywhere and ruins finishes. But you are right to choose a dry lubricant. I use PTFE and don't have the problems you describe, or at least, not for quite a long time.
S

Hi Steve

Thanks for the info. Is PTFE quite different to dry silicone? I'll pick some up at work next week.

Do you know if I will have ot clean this all off before I can use the PTFE stuff? Or whack it on top?

Many thanks

mickthetree":1w1dlqru said:
Hi Steve

Thanks for the info. Is PTFE quite different to dry silicone?
Yes.
mickthetree":1w1dlqru said:
Do you know if I will have ot clean this all off before I can use the PTFE stuff? Or whack it on top?
Many thanks
I don't know how you would clean off silicone. Clean off as much of the gunk as you ca. Airline. WD40. Toothbrush and elbow grease. Get it as clean as you can they spray with PTFE. If you can do without the WD40, so much the better.

I do a routine clean and maintenance in detail on WE7! :)

Steve

I use GT85 on my combi which uses the same saw parts works fine.

J

Steve Maskery":w714k8rj said:
I don't know how you would clean off silicone. Clean off as much of the gunk as you ca. Airline. WD40. Toothbrush and elbow grease. Get it as clean as you can they spray with PTFE. If you can do without the WD40, so much the better.

Don't know how effective it is, but Lidl were selling "Silicone seal remover" a few weeks back. Guess it's more for removing silicone fillets from round baths etc., but might be worth a try?

Back