Low Vibration Random Orbit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petey83

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's a Mirka vs Festool and I've had a Mirka in the past I liked but wondering if Festool offerings are any better

I have had access and use of both and find that at the bench I prefer the Mirka Deros but if I am doing something construction or DIY related like sanding a floor etc then the Rotex with its gearing is more suitable.

I've got one of the dual orbit Metabo turbotech Sanders I use DIY tasks.

I've been using my little Makita 125mm ROS for years and it's a decent finish but working with Epoxy more now means longer sanding sessions and a need for a perfect finish so I need low Vibration and finer finish.

I bought the Metabo dual orbit. Good value, powerful and effective.
I later added a Deros. It's been on my wish list for a long time and I decided that if I was ever going to get one, get on with it and get more years value out of it. It's noticeably lower vibration as well as hugely lighter with better ergonomics. I'd say the best tool of its type that you can buy.

Sideways":uutmzjg4 said:
I bought the Metabo dual orbit. Good value, powerful and effective.
I later added a Deros. It's been on my wish list for a long time and I decided that if I was ever going to get one, get on with it and get more years value out of it. It's noticeably lower vibration as well as hugely lighter with better ergonomics. I'd say the best tool of its type that you can buy.

the metabo really is good value, bought it to sand some cladding as needed something aggressive, couldn't afford a ROTEX and didn't fancy a best sander up a ladder.

Mirka. Lighter, almost no vibration discomfort, and can be used all day without strain. In a different league to the Metabo. Festool is good but more tiring to use I find.

The Mirka tools are just fantastic - I stuck with Festool, because the power cables are interchangeable (lazy, I know) - I prefer the ETC for fine finishing, but the ROTEX is great if you need something that can do both direct and passive orbital (and can work well as a polisher if you need that). Both brands are brutally well made, have excellent dust extraction and good aftercare and parts service.

i do use polishing pads on my drill for the final polishing but glass cast recommend taking it up to 1500 - 2000 grit on a sander and that takes time to do properly when starting at 80 grit.

Looks like i need to save some pennies for a Mirka.

Back