Low-ish cost Router Plate with lift

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main benefit of having the router lifted by four chain driven shafts on each corner is obviously the lack of squint, but also that any wear over a few years is equal on each corner, that can't be said for a single post lift with sliders supposedly to support the other side, my own lift is able to be dial'd in to a silly exact amount 360deg rotation is 2mm in height adjustment on a calibrated scale, this is almost essential when rail and stile cutting with raised panels any slight out of depth alignment makes lots of extra work getting them smooth enough

A digital depth gauge is also an essential item, for checking the bits are the same height as previously if you change the production run during the day, making notes for each rail, stile and panel makes the job much easier next time.

As I said earlier, when using a properly set up purpose designed router table it becomes a pleasure to use instead of constantly having to adjust, bend down and kneel on the floor and move the lock switch (Triton) Lock the router height (most routers) when checking the router height from below the table most will change height when using the lock lever needing constant up and down adjustment (from under the table) to get the same reading as previously, I tried all the alternative shop made solutions and came to the conclusion that my life was ebbing away trying to achieve something on the cheap that can be solved by buying something purpose made that no longer took an age to fettle before I could start work, I know some will get a perverse pleasure from using something they made and keep adjusting, but that's not what I want from my woodworking, a well made piece of functional furniture is far more pleasurable.

MikeJhn":195wu80r said:
As much as I like Jessem product, their lift is only screw adjusted on one side the remaining posts are slides only, from an engineering point of view it would be like trying to lift a weight from one side, the UJK lift on the other hand is screw adjusted from the four corners of the support plate, these are wide apart and make much more mechanical sense.

I hear what you're saying but the reality is the Jessem is a very well engineered piece of kit and the single screw design is the reason I would prefer it over the multiple chain driven UJK - it's simpler and less to go wrong. In terms of the functionality of lifting and lowering the platen there is no difference to the end user, that single screw relies on precision linear shaft to guide it, the reference of the drive screw is not an issue in this instance. As long as it's well maintained it will give years of services but that is true of the UJK.

I have the UJK and have used the Jessem range, just feel the better of the two is the Jessem is all.

I have a fantastic router table, and it really did not cost much. It is built into the outfeed of my table saw.

The router lift is a Router Raizer. This is the cheapest, proper router lift on the market. It works very well. Added to the router is a MuscleChuck, which makes it easy to change bits above the table.

Router-Raizer-Muscle-Chuck.jpg

The router came off eBay UK. It is an Elu 177e. These are damn fine routers that just live on. I have 4 Elus altogether.

Router_Raizer_1.jpg

You can build your own fence from aluminium section as the frame, and add sliding faces ...

4a.jpg

5a.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

shed9":ngzsigym said:
MikeJhn":ngzsigym said:
As much as I like Jessem product, their lift is only screw adjusted on one side the remaining posts are slides only, from an engineering point of view it would be like trying to lift a weight from one side, the UJK lift on the other hand is screw adjusted from the four corners of the support plate, these are wide apart and make much more mechanical sense.

I hear what you're saying but the reality is the Jessem is a very well engineered piece of kit and the single screw design is the reason I would prefer it over the multiple chain driven UJK - it's simpler and less to go wrong. In terms of the functionality of lifting and lowering the platen there is no difference to the end user, that single screw relies on precision linear shaft to guide it, the reference of the drive screw is not an issue in this instance. As long as it's well maintained it will give years of services but that is true of the UJK.

I have the UJK and have used the Jessem range, just feel the better of the two is the Jessem is all.

We have sold both of these and a few more versions and still do, but I would say JessEm (the router lift inventors) are still the best. They used to make for Woodpecker but they now make their own not as good as the JessEm, JessEm also make the lifts for Incra.

The Prestige is a hidden gem lift for plunge routers.

Cheers Peter

Notwithstanding all the above, there can be no argument that lifting anything from one edge (one screw jack) is not a very good engineering solution.

MikeJhn":33mh8ur7 said:
Notwithstanding all the above, there can be no argument that lifting anything from one edge (one screw jack) is not a very good engineering solution.

Clearly there is, else well engineered solutions wouldn't incorporate it.

The only reason not to incorporate a four post lift is to keep the cost down.

MikeJhn":3gfavnmn said:
The only reason not to incorporate a four post lift is to keep the cost down.

Again, disagree. Simple engineering is not always the lowest cost denominator. Multiple shafts bind, introduce increased backlash and sometimes over complicate a simple function. Elegant simple engineering is not the lesser cousin of compensated design.

Exactly my point a plain shaft will bind a screw jack is less likely too.

Single column thicknesser beds work of the centre of the bed not on one side, so not a very good example, we will have to agree to disagree on this point, my own thicknesser is a four post chain driven bed and It does not suffer from snipe.

MikeJhn":k6ng13w6 said:
Single column thicknesser beds work of the centre of the bed not on one side, so not a very good example, we will have to agree to disagree on this point, my own thicknesser is a four post chain driven bed and It does not suffer from snipe.

I can see your logic, just don't agree based on real world engineered products and solutions is all.

I agree though, let's agree to disagree.

Appreciate all the advice guys. I watched a video with the Gosforth handyman (ready for a reply?) and he was using a triton and a home made bench with no plate. Not sure about the no plate idea, but he's using it for paid work, so can't be bad.

Think I'll go with a non-lift plate to reduce costs and buy a triton....unless anyone has a better solution for £300. The routers I have actually are both B&D, so probably not the best routers.

fullabeer":q3q4bl0e said:
Think I'll go with a non-lift plate to reduce costs and buy a triton....unless anyone has a better solution for £300. The routers I have actually are both B&D, so probably not the best routers.

Don't forget to follow the instructions and remove the springs from the Triton or the raising will be rather more effort than it need be.

Owned a triton and sold it on, for use in a router table it's a pain, the automatic lock on the shaft is a nuisance, you have to get under the table to unlock it every time you change bits.

If the T11 is as good as its dad, the Elu 177e, and cousin, the DeWalt 625, and sibling T10, then it will be a very good router. As I understand, the T11 is essentially a T10 with a Router Raiser.

Regards from Perth

Derek

If the T11 is as good as its dad, the Elu 177e, and cousin, the DeWalt 625, and sibling T10, then it will be a very good router. As I understand, the T11 is essentially a T10 with a Router Raiser.

Regards from Perth

Derek

The Trend is quite good and stick it on an Incra plate if the budget allows...

I have the Trend T11, exactly for the reason you can raise it without fiddling under table.

Been very happy with it, it's a great tool.

Back