Low Cost Lathe Upgrade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardG

If at first you don’t succeed have a cup of tea.
Reaction score
Bolt it to the floor!!

Despite the manual saying to bolt my old Record CL3 and stand to the ground it was easier just to add 4 paving slabs as ballast. However as my confidence has grown I've started to turn more uneven lumps of wood which resulted in a brown trouser moment when the last lump actually caused the whole lathe to walk a few cm's....Mind you the minimum speed of 500 rpm is somewhat of a contributing factor, that's harder to fix.

I can't believe how much this has transformed the lathe, it seems smoother to use all round and can no longer walk when out of balance. Whilst bolting down I also installed a piece of kitchen worktop and raised the height which again has made everything so much nicer to use, it's like having a new lathe!!

I'm sure more recent lathes with cast beds would probably not benefit so much but it's so easy to do that it must be recommended.
E1FA9234-BE46-4ED0-942A-D787CD40EED0.jpeg

Weight / Mass is important in any lathe for the reasons you mention , Adding slabs / bags of cement all help , My lathe weighs 380kgs , Not had it run across the worksop ( Yet ) , Have fun and keep safe

Latest posts

Back