Low angle block . . . . . . which one!?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello All,
For years I have used Record / Stanley planes which are (hopefully!) carefully fettled with Ray Iles blades and work very well. However, I'm keen to see how these compare with some of the new planes that are now available, and to try out a low angle plane. I was going to start by buying a low angle block plane and I'm inclined towards the Veritas because of both the price and the fact that it has lateral adjustment which (unless I've missed something) it appears the Lie-Nielsen hasn't.

It would be nice to try some different planes side by side, but I guess that's not going to be possible, so I'd be grateful for any comments or opinions before I part with money! Thanks,
Graham W

Graham W":3vbwsd2r said:
It would be nice to try some different planes side by side, but I guess that's not going to be possible
Where are you, Graham? You never know, there could be a keeper of a Slope near you.
biggrin.gif

The Veritas is a nice plane, no doubt about it. But then so's the little bronze L-N. And everyone else seems to like the adjustable mouth L-N too... The Veritas would have to just shade it for me; the adjustments are so precise and I like the ball tail handle add-on. The only negative I really have is that I don't think it'll look quite so good after 30-40 years of service as the L-N will, but then are you buying tools as heirlooms for the grandkids or to use and enjoy now? The truth is they're all great tools and you'd be a happy bunny with any of them. Enjoy the decision-making.
cool.gif

Cheers, Alf

I have the LN LA block plane - it's a superb tool and not too pricey. I use it all the time. I like the adjustable mouth - makes it very versatile. And it does look and feel good - it's that's important to you. Adjustments-wise, I find it very straightforward - there is some lateral adjustment (unlike it's big brother the LN 62) - but no grub screws or anything for this - all manual. And depth of cut adjustment is explained in the intructions well - and involves holding the lever cap with your thumb to keep the blade straight - slight knack - but easy and quick.
Cheers
Gidon

Graham

At the risk of being called a collector I must own up to being the proud possessor AND user of 3 LN block planes

1) Standard angle block plane. Cannot fault it!!!
2) Small low angle bronze - superb. Love it and used it all of the time UNTIL I got:
3) LN low angle Rabbett block plane. This is the block plane I reach for 90% of the time. It would be the plane I keep if all others had to go

Buy the Rabbett is my advice - cleans up tennon cheeks on it's days off from being a general purpose block plane. Oh, great for end grain too

Tony":3dd146id said:
At the risk of being called a collector I must own up to being the proud possessor AND user of 3 LN block planes
You don't think your avatar is a teeny weeny bit of a giveaway there, Tony...?
biggrin.gif

Cheers, Alf

Thanks all!
Hmmm, I'll ponder this for a while I think. I do a lot of frame and panel stuff and the LN skew block also looks as though it would be extremely useful, although they look back to front to me - the 'left handed' version looks like something I'd want to use in my right hand.
I'm beginning to understand the 'the slope'; it looks worryingly as though I really *need* about 3 new planes despite the fact I've been quite happy without them before!

I'm in North Wales, if there is anyone up here with any LN or LV planes I could have a look at it would be much appreciated.

Graham W

Tony":32o3dphv said:
Alf":32o3dphv said:
Tony":32o3dphv said:
Bean":32o3dphv said:

And yours isnt Alf :shock:

Bean

Thanks Bean :wink:
Ah, but I don't go round pretending to "own up" to something that's there for all to see, do I?
rolleyes.gif
tounge.gif

Cheers, Alf

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Eh? Anyone else lost? :)

Tony wrote:
Alf wrote:
Tony wrote:
Bean wrote:
Quote:

And yours isnt Alf

Bean

Thanks Bean

Ah, but I don't go round pretending to "own up" to something that's there for all to see, do I?

Cheers, Alf

Eh? Anyone else lost?

Totally! :shock:

To venture slightly nearer the topic . . . . !!

Can someone with a small bronze LN give me a rough idea of what the mouth width is when it's set to take whisper thin shaving? I initially hadn't looked at this plane as it doesn't appear to be adjustable, but it's certainly appealing. Thanks.
Also, does anyone have the LN skew block?

Thanks, again
Graham W

Graham W":1iqwwyze said:
Can someone with a small bronze LN give me a rough idea of what the mouth width is when it's set to take whisper thin shaving?
Graham, sorry for the delay. First I forgot, and then I was out all day.
blush2.gif
. Mine is 1.5mm, give or take not much. Sounds huge really, but it doesn't seem to be as detrimental in practice as the figure suggests. Wish I knew why. The lack of adjustable mouth put me off them at first too, but it's such a handable little plane I wouldn't be without it now.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":m4ufbx5h said:
but it's such a handable little plane I wouldn't be without it now.
:D ...and how is that different to any of the other planes you coll... er, own. :wink: :wink:

Back