low angle block planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Alf i think this is your territory,
What is the difference between a low angle block plane and an ordinary block plane or should i say what would you use a low angle block plane for instead of the ordinary block plane.

Derek
Hope you don't mind me butting in?
The low angle block has the bed at 12/2 degrees instead of the usual 25 degrees-add the blade bevel of 25 degrees and that gives you 37 1/2 degrees as opposed to 45 degrees. Not a huge difference but quite noticable when planing end grain (the main purpose)
Certain timbers react well to a lower angle (and some are only planable with a higher angle-i.e. rosewood) and if you don't have a block plane at all I recommend you get a low angle one to begin. (Not that you can't plane end grain with a standard block plane, but its good to have a low angle plane to go with your regular bench plane :wink: )
Hope this is of help (and remembered the angles correctly :shock: )
Cheers
Philly :D

Since you can grind the bevel at what angle you like, you can also make the effective cutting angle steeper if you want and thus "convert" a low angle block plane to a normal one if for any reason that became desirable.

HI Derek

I have a low angle and a high angle block planes and I think Philly (and Chris) summed it up nicely.

Wot they said. The low angle is more flexible in that you can always increase the effective cutting angle by using a steeper bevel on the blade, but you're limited in how much you can lower a standard angle one and still retain a strong enough edge on the blade - even if you use a back bevel. Also the lever cap on a low angle block is, by definition, a lower profile, and often more comfortable in consequence. :)

Cheers, Alf

Alf":22tk4wdb said:
(snip)

Also the lever cap on a low angle block is, by definition, a lower profile, and often more comfortable in consequence. :)

Cheers, Alf

Good point - though I would point out that some manufacturers :whistle: have actually designed lower profile caps for standard angle planes - and have not just recycled a cap from another plane...

It's not inconceivable that a LA and Standard block could have ... let's just say.... a little as 1/8" height difference.... 8)

Cheers -

Rob

A low angle block plane is more versatile, since a different grind on the blade can emulate enything a "standard" angle block plane can do.

However, the low angle plane is a little more "extreme"; there's less room to put the adjusters, and the sole under the bed gets mighty thin and delicate.

BugBear

Rob Lee":j0mmqnla said:
Alf":j0mmqnla said:
(snip)

Also the lever cap on a low angle block is, by definition, a lower profile, and often more comfortable in consequence. :)

Cheers, Alf
Good point - though I would point out that some manufacturers :whistle: have actually designed lower profile caps for standard angle planes - and have not just recycled a cap from another plane...
I could point out some people :whistle: still found some manufacturers' standard angle block less comfortable than the low angle one. But some manufacturers will only call some people Freaky Hands, so I won't... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2nfmowyd said:
Rob Lee":2nfmowyd said:
Alf":2nfmowyd said:
(snip)

Cheers, Alf
(snip) But some manufacturers will only call some people Freaky Hands, so I won't... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

I would point out that some manufacturers would not use such terms in a public forum, reserving them only for use in private...
:roll:

I have heard somewhere though, that there is the possibilty of a completely new plane that one could conceivably prefix with an FH designation.... though it remains highly speculative and clouded in mystery... 8)

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee":2p93dbj7 said:
I have heard somewhere though, that there is the possibilty of a completely new plane that one could conceivably prefix with an FH designation.... though it remains highly speculative and clouded in mystery... 8)
Ah, that'll be the one you propel with your feet...

Cheers, Alf

Ooo, that's cool. Fancy making an arrow or two now... 'Scuse me whilst I just go and pluck a parrot... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Bows, arrows and crossbows/quarrels are fascinating toys. In a previous incarnation, I used to develop 'kit' for the military. One of the more striking (no pun intended...) lessons was that arrows/quarrels can generate significantly higher pressure than the average bullet at the tip of the impact point. We used them to test some body armour...

It re-shaped my whole attitude to the 'yew longbow' folklore. Allied to the discovery of that Mary Rose archer's deformed skeleton, indicating simply absurd draw strength, you suddenly begin to understand just how these things dominated their battles...

Off topic, but kinda interesting...

Latest posts

Back