Lovely multi drawer pallet wood project popped up on my YT recommended

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice, it's turned out well, and looks really handy :D
Quite inspirational too, I'm sure most of us have related stuff everywhere but together.

he seems to be doing a lot of belt sanding across the grain, I was always under the impression sanding should go with the grain, am i missing something?

he seems to be doing a lot of belt sanding across the grain, I was always under the impression sanding should go with the grain, am i missing something?

It's quicker and easier to get panels flat if you sand across the grain, once it's flat you can work with the grain to get the scratches out.

It is quite nice but imagine how much easier it would have been if he just used normal wood.
He could have made it in half the time.
I think these type of things must be done just for YouTube views otherwise its likely a false economy.
I guess its interesting to see people's different processes and ways to work.

Ollie

It is quite nice but imagine how much easier it would have been if he just used normal wood.
He could have made it in half the time.
I think these type of things must be done just for YouTube views otherwise its likely a false economy.
I guess its interesting to see people's different processes and ways to work.

Ollie
the thought of putting pallet wood, with the potential lost nails, imbedded gravel, toxic treatment etc etc through a P/T makes me cringe somewhat.

My source of free wood is wooden beds that people are forever giving away on freecycle

Last edited:
It's quicker and easier to get panels flat if you sand across the grain, once it's flat you can work with the grain to get the scratches out.
that makes sense, but hadn't it already been passed through a P/T, should it not be flat already?

I’d like to know where he got his pallet wood from some of it looked an inch thick & the main frame hardly had a knot of any size in it. Plus he shows just knocking a few fairly loose nails out of the wood :oops: Pallets I get have at least a dozen large staples at every joint.

YTber "It's pallet wood cause I got it from a place that makes pallets before they actually made a pallet from it" - probably

Or from industrial packaging which has longer lengths of timber rather than the 18" max in a euro pallet.

Cheers James

that makes sense, but hadn't it already been passed through a P/T, should it not be flat already?
It hadnt been put through by the looks of it and only clamped as a group and edged for jointing. Looks like his board widths and unit depths are not exact, hence the wide 5 board, to be rip into 2. More likely the unit depths is 12" and thats 2 1/2 boards, therefore the thicknesser couldnt do it, so he's flattening it by eye using the sander, and cross grain is the start off point to take any cupping out. Take care of the inaccuracies at the board joints too.

I get as new euro pallets for €3......
then break em up for odd brackets and stiffening around concrete moulds....
If I bought the wood to make the pallet it would cost around €35 ...without the blocks...
any gash stuff and the blocks go in the boiler....
being retired have a little extra time to do it...

Hi Clogs, I was under the impression that all pallet wood had been treated and shouldn't be burned in a log-burner? That the noxious chemical fumes given off are pollutants?

YTber "It's pallet wood cause I got it from a place that makes pallets before they actually made a pallet from it" - probably
You could well be right, it does make me wonder, this is a sample of the best I can get in decent lengths

8AA49530-12D0-4A94-8396-14EA9469C2A9.jpeg

It’s barely 17mm thick by 90mm wide, I’m lucky if I can end up with 14x86mm for the size pieces I need

Hi Clogs, I was under the impression that all pallet wood had been treated and shouldn't be burned in a log-burner? That the noxious chemical fumes given off are pollutants?
Depends on the pallet. They are marked. I use loads of the HT (Heat treated) in my log burner as kindling. Others, such as the blue pallets are owned by someone else and shouldn't be burned. Can't say I've come across much else but still am careful of ones that have got soaked by something nasty.
The recycled wood place near me used to do a flat bed transit of pallets for £1 delivered and I used the last lot to build some log stores. They had a load of crates used for car windscreens which gave some good long length of thick timber - better than the rubbish from Wickes I would have had to pay for!

It’s a really nice end result. Wonder where he gets the pallet wood tho - those were very, very clean (and straight - not something I associate with pallets :) ).

But I had to look away when he was using the bandsaw. Reaching around either side of the blade like that wearing a loose jumper is just nuts. Same deal for leaning over the feed table and reaching thru to guide the scrap on the table saw.

What is it about terrible technique on video clips this week?

What do you mean "this week" YT has virtually nothing but unsafe wksp practices being touted as normal

Back