Louvre Router Bit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening All,
I’ve made some fantastic plantation shutters for the kitchen yet still need to finish of the louvres on my router table. I thought I’d be able to get a Louvre bit within 24/48 hours yet I can’t find one that isn’t from the US/China and takes a month.
Does anyone know where I can find one? Or perhaps is there a different name? Or is there perhaps a differently named bit that I could use?
Many thanks,
Tom

You could get a sharpening service to re-profile a straight bit and make sure your fence fits tight against it.

Or tilt the table saw and with fingerboards and guards in place run them over the blade in 4 passes. Once done sand the edges.

Or you can make a sled with a recess with the agles built in and run it through the thicknesser. Again sanding the edges to final shape.

Depends how many you need. Lots and lots and you'll want the router bit and lots more than that a shaper set with accompanying sharper but for a few doors the saw or thicknesser is the go.

Unless you want to hang plane it like they used to do. ;)

Pete

u could get a sharpening service to re-profile a straight bit and make sure your fence fits tight against it.
That could be a good idea. The “trial” I’m on for the kitchen only requires 33 louvres as they’re cafe style, but if it goes well I think running away to South America and changing my name would be the easier option as I’ll need to repeat hundreds of times.
I’m also not allowed to use the word thicknesser in the house as my wife said unless I stop going on she’ll leave me although that could also solve my problem...

Last edited:
Maybe you should screw them up. :whistle: Then you'll be off the hook. On the other hand the Mini-stress of Finances will never approve any more tools. Maybe order the router bit and do something else in the mean time. A sharpening service will take some time too.

Pete

I'm afraid I can't help beyond a simple Google search, but I'm really interested in how you built these, and sourced the parts needed?
Making these shutters is on my to do list

Can you share some more info on your process?

Latest posts

Back