Loudspeaker builders/repairers - help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way to go, XY!!!

They look like a really useful outfit (don't know why I haven't found them before!).

I'm seriously tempted by their LS3/5A lookalikes - seem to be very good value and easy to make. My older colleagues all built their own units when the design was first launched, and checking them against the real thing in the BBC yielded very good results. The 3/5A still has the best imaging of anything I've ever monitored on, with the possible exception of ESL 63s (but at a fraction of the price).

Meanwhile, I'm sure they'll have something suitable to mend the MA7s. I'll browse the site when I've got more time - work, then Skyfall later tonight :)

Many thanks,

E.

PS: The MA7s will never beat my Rogers 3/5As, but might come close if mended properly - the bass is more extended, obviously, bein' larger'n'all.

That looks like another *!* site that could easily waste an evening or two. Nice to know such companies still exist. I hope you find something to suit.

xy

xy mosian":11xm7fte said:
Eric, I was looking up speaker manufacturers in the U.K. for a friend and fell over these guys.
http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk
I know nothing about them but they look as if they might be able to help.

xy

Ah - that's where I bought my Epos speakers - there is (or was) a hifi retail company in the group, "Basically Sound", at the Old School in Mulbarton.

Nice big building for doing dems in.

The guy had a big Volvo estate, which he said was the only one strong enough to pickup reels (and reels, and reels) of cable in.

BugBear

Eric The Viking":2qhj4b2y said:
Way to go, XY!!!

They look like a really useful outfit (don't know why I haven't found them before!).

I'm seriously tempted by their LS3/5A lookalikes - seem to be very good value and easy to make. My older colleagues all built their own units when the design was first launched, and checking them against the real thing in the BBC yielded very good results. The 3/5A still has the best imaging of anything I've ever monitored on, with the possible exception of ESL 63s (but at a fraction of the price).

Meanwhile, I'm sure they'll have something suitable to mend the MA7s. I'll browse the site when I've got more time - work, then Skyfall later tonight :)

Many thanks,

E.

PS: The MA7s will never beat my Rogers 3/5As, but might come close if mended properly - the bass is more extended, obviously, bein' larger'n'all.

I was always slightly baffled by LS3/5A - they were famously quite cheap, given the quality, but they DEMANDED really good (read expensive) amplifiers. Hence, if you building a SYSTEM on a budget (as opposed to buying speakers on a budget), they weren't a strategic choice.

BugBear

Ls3/5a do seem to be worshiped by some and fetch huge prices in the Far East, I have a mates with Linn Kans to my mind they sound like big trasistor radios.
If you have seen the crosover board in a LS3/5a of Kan you will see why they need a good amp!

Pete

Racers":2ueg7rrt said:
Ls3/5a do seem to be worshiped by some and fetch huge prices in the Far East, I have a mates with Linn Kans to my mind they sound like big trasistor radios.
If you have seen the crosover board in a LS3/5a of Kan you will see why they need a good amp!

Pete

I remember the letters/advice pages of hi-fi mags, back in the eighties. One common issue was "I bought Ls3/5a due to the favourable reviews, but they don't sound as good as you said". The reply was normally something along the lines of "buy a Naim 250" (!!).

BugBear

PS - Remember the "six-pack" ?

The Mission Cyrus was particularly rubbish at driving 3/5As. Mine have an AM8/12 each :)

I think the move to an 8 Ohm impedance was partly because of the domestic bi-wiring craze, and partly because 15 Ohms showed up too many bad amp designs. There is some discussion on the web that the AM8/12 was specifically designed for 15 Ohm loads. It makes sense, as 3/5As were by far the most common use in the BBC, although we did use them for other things, mainly small PAs.

E.

bugbear":6yqk63wd said:
I remember the letters/advice pages of hi-fi mags, back in the eighties. One common issue was "I bought Ls3/5a due to the favourable reviews, but they don't sound as good as you said". The reply was normally something along the lines of "buy a Naim 250" (!!).

BugBear

PS - Remember the "six-pack" ?

I remember the six pack, it was always my Hi-Fi dream to own one but got distracted with DIY hifi and now have a DIY amp built along the lines of 2 135's but with many modifications. I have many of the components to build 4 more and realise my ambition!

Yes six packs I do remember tham, never heard one, the closest I came was isobariks and a pair of 135s.

I took my 135 clones to the NAIM factory after saying I had made a pair on the NIAM forum, they wanted to listen to them, and after the full factory tour we had a listen, and they didn't sound to bad comapired to the factory 135s. I later did some mods which made them sound even better.

Pete

Back