Lots of questions.............

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrisminordriver

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Im fairly new to "proper" woodworking having been involved in an inordinate amount of "woodbutchery" over the years, mainly tied up with gutting and renovating a couple of houses that Ive lived in.

I am working toward doing some "proper" woodwork for my own pleasure (rather than necessity) which should involve making things with a little more finesse than 3 x 2 studwork and shuttering for concrete.

This has been partially brought on by having inherited a number of tools from my Dad following his death, he was a keen (and pretty good!) woodworker and had bought a range of tools and gadgets throughout his life.

Some of the questions I have are to do with these tools Ive now got and dont know fully about their best use. Ive been looking in on this site over the past couple of weeks and think you may be able to help me with.

So here are some of the questions I have so far:

- is it possible to get a riving knife and crown guard (I think these are the right terms?!) for a 8" Makita table saw - model no: 2708?

- is it possible to get a replacement clamp for an Elu router table (its one of a pair to sit the table on its side). The table was designed for the MOF 96 and was later reincarnated as the DeWalt DE6900. I have one of the clamps and there is a number stamped on the side which reads 230241 3.

- Is it possible to get replacement blades for a Nobex Mitre saw?. (18tpi and 565mm long)?

- How do I know when the correct tension on a Kity 619 Bandsaw is reached? (I got and fitted a new blade and it works really well but more due to luck than judgement!).

- What uses are there for an electronic glue gun?

- Will Trend accessories fit MOF 96 and MOF 96E routers?, they look similar in the catalogue. (I need some height adjuster screws and the thunbscrew bolts to hold the fence and connect to the table).

- Are there any special tips for sharpening chisels?, I have an electronic water wheel with a white coloured stone on it and a DMT Diamond stone too but the early attempts havent been anything to write home about. Im particularly struggling with the rounded gouges for the lathe.

Many thanks in advance in anticipation of any help you may be able to give.

Mike Shipman - New Forest - Hampshire.

- Are there any special tips for sharpening chisels?, I have an electronic water wheel with a white coloured stone on it and a DMT Diamond stone too but the early attempts havent been anything to write home about. Im particularly struggling with the rounded gouges for the lathe.

I would suggest you do a google search on the "Scary Sharp" method.

As to your sharpening center. Brand? Do you have any jigs with it? If not, I would look into getting some. Rounded gouges can be sharpened on these, but buy doing it by hand you are going to make some mistakes befor you get the nack of it.

As to the other questions, I'll leave them to someone on your side of the pond to answer.

Mike,

For the router table part, ring DeWalt and they should be able to provide a replacement. Beware though, their spares are seldom cheap. (DAMHIKT)

Nobex mitre saw blades can be got from Axminster, stock code NOB20244 for the 18tpi.

Not sure about the parts for the Trend fitting the Elu. I know they have the same fence rod spacings, guide bushes etc and they've certainly aimed to use the Elu/DeWalt model as the standard. I would think they probably will, but contact Trend direct and I'm sure they'll be happy to confirm or deny it.

Sharpening gouges is a 'mare. I rely totally on the Sorby fingernail jig (stock code SOR445 at Axminster, to see what I mean) which is pricey, but has saved my sanity. If you're trying to do it by eye, you need quite a large tool rest on the grinder to allow for the swing as you sharpen.
For chisels and plane blades I use a jig for accuracy. A simple side-clamping one does the trick. I don't know what grade your diamond stone is, but I've never been able to get an acceptably fine edge with one. I tend to do my final honing on an oilstone or ceramic stone. A waterstone would do just as well, or Scary Sharp as Keystone suggested. There was a thread on sharpening around here somewhere. Come back with some more detail and we can go even further into the murky world of sharpening.... :wink:

Anyway, this might get you started. Happy New Year!

Cheers, Jester

Back