Lost in Transit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonsdale73

Established Member
Reaction score
Do we still have a legal eagle in the house?

I moved house earlier in the year and hired a removal firm to transport the contents of my house and workshop. Not everything has made it here. I notified the removal firm as soon as it was obvious things were missing, not just unpacked. They said they would look into it and get back to me. They didn't so I chased them up. They then said they would turn it over to their insurance company to deal with. Four weeks passed without word. I spent a week chasing and then got an assurance they would chase it up with the insurance company and get back to me. Another week on and still no further word.

As far as I can tell, my contract is with them, not their insurance company, therefore it is down to them to come to a settlement with me which they would then have to seek recompense for from their insurance company. Or am I wrong?

Sorry to hear of your problems. Maybe start be asking for their insurance details so you can pass it on to your solicitor?
If nothing else the mention of a solicitor may provoke a reaction

I wouldn't get between them and their insurers, you are right in saying your contract is with them. I suggest a letter to them, recorded delivery and signed for, giving them 7 days to recompense you, if not you will hand over to solicitor, and any costs incurred will be charged to them.

Normally works, but be prepared to carry it through, as it really is the last line of attack, if you back track they may see you as a soft touch.

If you or a family relative is a member of Which.co.uk, drop them a line and mention that to the company too.

As above. Set it out very factually and coldly, moved on... advised you of missing items on... chased on etc etc.

You have told me that you have involved your insurer, but that is a matter between you and them. My contract is with you.

As I have had no meaningful contact from you I now intend to put the matter in the hands of my solicitor which will result in additional costs.

I wouldn't say 7 days, I would set a date maybe 10 days hence, that avoids is it 7 from date sent, date received etc., and say something like "a substantive response from you by xxxxx". Writing back to say still waiting for insurer doesn't get them off the hook"

Read the contract, it might oblige you to go through some kind of industry regulator/ajudicator before you can take them to court. If that is the case, amend letter accordingly... Not solicitor but formal complaint to whatever the body is.

If its a big company, maybe send a copy to the Company Secretary at the head office address. That worked for me years back when BT wrecked my garden boundary doing some street work, no response locally, Co sec department was in touch next day.

Back