Loss of the classic brit accent?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely not us Richard, they talk complete gibberish.
There was a film I watched some time back, can't recall the name, in it there was a White Character talking to a group of Black 'street' kids, he was so OTT they couldn't understand a word he said. :)

studders":jy0bwfz8 said:
Definitely not us Richard, they talk complete gibberish.
There was a film I watched some time back, can't recall the name, in it there was a White Character talking to a group of Black 'street' kids, he was so OTT they couldn't understand a word he said. :)

Was that The Sermon on the Mount ?

Digit":1maxk2wt said:
For the benefit of Jacob's pedantry, the local Welsh accent is dissapearing, to be heard at its strongest only amongst the older generation.
That's more like it.
But you may be wrong. It's a very subjective thing. When I moved back to Derbyshire from Wales I found the local accent really foreign, as though there had been a revival in my absence.
Soon picked it up. My kids had a welsh accent when they got here but lost it in a few weeks.
More strange than the accent was the hilarious Derbyshire foul language as the Welsh don't swear quite so energetically.
We soon picked that up too.

Jacob":3stjdxaq said:
When I moved back to Derbyshire from Wales I found the local accent really foreign, as though there had been a revival in my absence.

More likely you'd just lost the knack (or "ear"). Languages and accents can be dropped as well as picked up.

BugBear

bugbear":3uf1a35a said:
Jacob":3uf1a35a said:
When I moved back to Derbyshire from Wales I found the local accent really foreign, as though there had been a revival in my absence.

More likely you'd just lost the knack (or "ear")........

BugBear
That's the point I was trying to make :roll: i.e. it's subjective (see above) - you can also not hear it if it has become familiar.

My parents got a shock some years back when they took their first cassette recorder with them on holiday, to do a spoken diary. The playback showed up their origins really clearly (Notts/Derbys borders). They were really surprised and had never noticed this before, having spent a lot of time being a bit snobby trying to get me to speak proper! Served um reet!

Back