Lorries with a hexagon logo livery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Untitled.png

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    187.7 KB · Views: 215
Based on the info that Steve has given - why is it unreasonable for someone to be travelling at 60mph when approaching an exit slip road?

if the driver is found, what do you want to happen?
Just remember the consequences are probably out of your control if you start the ball rolling, would it make you any more content in say a year to know you had done this.
Now it may which is great, however I can see you as the type to revel in others misfortunes.
The point is really what you want to happen now, may not happen as you expect.
Does your friend want you to pursue this, have you asked them. Will they feel better for your actions?

EDIT, terrible typo in the above " meant to say, I can't see you as the type to revel in others misfortunes"

I'm sure of it. It also makes sense. There are not many places to go to down that section of the A38. If he was heading for Derby he would have come off at J25, and if he was Chesterfield-bound it would be J29 or 30, I forget which.
A visit is in order tomorrow. I wonder if they have dashcams? He could be hoist with his own petard. Whatever one of those is.

Steve Maskery":2jjdy2er said:
and if he was Chesterfield-bound it would be J29 or 30, I forget which.
A visit is in order tomorrow. I wonder if they have dashcams? He could be hoist with his own petard. Whatever one of those is.

J29 :D

doctor Bob":1tdaaleb said:
Just remember the consequences are probably out of your control if you start the ball rolling, would it make you any more content in say a year to know you had done this.
Now it may which is great, however I can see you as the type to revel in others misfortunes.
Does your friend want you to pursue this, have you asked them. Will they feel better for your actions?

Assuming the culprit is identified then it is unlikely that this single event would result in dismissal. If, however, the driver has a history of aggressive driving then the outcome may be different but that is the fault of the lorry driver not his victim.
Personally, if a lorry driver has a tendency to aggressive and intimidating driving then perhaps it is safer for everyone if he was no longer on the road in a 40tonne vehicle

I have had several bus/coach drivers reprimanded because of going through red lights/ blocking box junctions the company’s take the complaints seriously.
Their is no excuse for the intimidation you suffered, he should suffer the consequences of his actions.

Pete

Steve Maskery":isb4zozj said:
doctor Bob":isb4zozj said:
... however I can see you as the type to revel in others misfortunes...

Bob! I sincerely hope that you don't mean that.

Terrible typo Steve, "Can't see you................. " was the intention, as you know Steve I've always thought of you as the more rational type on here, sincere apologies. Unintended offence withdrawn and deffinately not meant, I hope you know me better than to think I would cast you with dubious character defects.

It's not so much wanting to get him sacked from his job, but I'm sitting here wondering what would have happened if he had actually hit us. If Sheila had braked out of panic, he could not have stopped. She was completely thrown, upset, shaken, almost in tears and briefly unable to make normal decisions like which lane to be in on the slip road.
If this is his regular high, intimidating others for a laugh, who may not end up being as lucky as we were, I think I'd feel very guilty that I could have done something to prevent that and I did not do so.

RogerS":108vfkjv said:
MikeG.":108vfkjv said:
..... Telling people to drive faster than they are comfortable driving is a ridiculous and unsustainable argument, ....

If you extend your reasoning ad absurdum then a person driving their car along a busy A road at 20 mph, because that is the speed that they are comfortable at, is perfectly reasonable and acceptable.

*sigh* - no because there are still LOWER LIMITS for roads and I imagine if you did that and created a huge tail back eventually a police car will get involved, either directly or because some eejit decided to try and overtake a bunch of cars and causes a crash.

Edit - interestingly I'm wrong :

Minimum speed limits
Rarely, minimum speed limits are used, such as through the Mersey Tunnels, to maintain free flow and safe passage through otherwise hazardous or enclosed areas.[7] Circular blue signs with white numbers indicate the start of these limits, and similar signs with a red diagonal line indicate their end.[8] Contrary to popular belief, there is no minimum speed limit on motorways, although certain classes of slow vehicles (as well as those of any class that cannot maintain 25 mph on the level whilst unladen) are prohibited on safety grounds and drivers are expected to not cause unnecessary obstruction by driving unusually slowly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_spee ... ed_Kingdom

If there's no minimum speed for motorways it follows that there's none for normal roads either.

so yeah - "driving at a speed that you feel is under your control and limitations for the current conditions" seems to be the unsaid but safest rule for road users, regardless of that person behind you.

Pretty much knocks everything said about "she's too slow - causing a danger" etc etc into a cocked hat, wouldn't you say?

Inoffthered":23mwwxwx said:
doctor Bob":23mwwxwx said:

Assuming the culprit is identified then it is unlikely that this single event would result in dismissal. If, however, the driver has a history of aggressive driving then the outcome may be different but that is the fault of the lorry driver not his victim.
Personally, if a lorry driver has a tendency to aggressive and intimidating driving then perhaps it is safer for everyone if he was no longer on the road in a 40tonne vehicle

I'm sure there used to be more "how's my driving" signs on the backs of trucks than there are now.

If steve reports him to his employers - which I personally think he should - he'll be on thier radar thenceforth.

(btw a Petard was a bomb in a barrel that was rolled to the gates of a fort - stupidly* it's fuse was LIT, before rolling - so you better get cracking boy or.... you know the rest.)

* or not - can't be standing around with a flint and striker trying to light it while arrows and hot tar are raining down...

rafezetter":3jqleja6 said:
Pretty much knocks everything said about "she's too slow - causing a danger" etc etc into a cocked hat, wouldn't you say?

Um...no. Simply because any logical extension would then ask the question...'Why is she/he driving so slowly ?' Is it because they are unsure of themselves? Other road users ? Poor eyesight ? Poor reaction times ? Drunk ?

There comes a point when any sane person has to ask the question 'Should this person still be driving?'. If you think that the answer is 'Yes..regardless'...then please let me know when you're next out on the road so I can stay at home.

Can I just point out, for the purposes of clarity, that whilst she was almost certainly not doing 70, she was driving at a perfectly respectable speed for the time and conditions and with all due care and attention. She was not dawdling or being erratic or otherwise driving in an irresponsible way.
And I am a critical passenger, actually.
She was simply driving me home after a nice evening out with friends. (And just for the record, my contribution was delicious Lasagna followed by Rumble Crumble with home-made strawberry ice-cream).

Back