Loose carpenters square, repair stock or make new?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ttrees

Iroko loco!
Reaction score
Hello folks
The blade on my square is loose and needing attention.
Not needing to fix this too soon, just querying if anyone here ever fixed their square?

I don't mind making another stock, but would probably rather fix at least one, as
I bought another two vintage ones recently, so acquired the brass plate from one,
and blade from the other. I will make the stock for this one.
Not caring about grain matching aesthetics, am I better off starting from scratch?
Thanks
Tom

Have you tried hitting it with a hammer?

I have adjusted it before, so it can move quite a bit out at this stage.
Do you mean peining the pins?
I've never seen anyone make them, that would be helpful in deciding what to do, I suppose.
Thanks
Tom

If you can work some epoxy into the joint (either by using a fluid version or by heating the blade of the tool well to reduce the viscosity of regular tube epoxy) that might work to fix this and prevent further movement. If you're otherwise set on taking it apart to basically remake the square you lose little in trying this even with no guarantee it'll do the necessary.

I have tightened a couple up just peen the rivets, a couple of taps and check if its square then again until its tight.

Pete

Back