Loose blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Had an interesting experience last evening.

I was chopping some battens on my mitre saw, and cussing as they didn't appear to be accurate to 90deg.

I've never had much luck setting this one up - it's a cheap as chips 'Performance Power' thing IIRC - double bevel, double everything, powerful motor, big blade, so should be fine... anyway, It's been ok'ish - but last night it was worse than usual.

It was also making some 'funny' noises, and the blade was taking a lot longer to run down than normal.

I had one batten left to cut, but thought I'd better take a look, and I'm really pleased I did. The securing bolt holding the blade had worked loose - and there was a definitie wobble. This blade hasn't been changed for 5 years - so what made it come lose now, I have no idea. So my tip for the day - if your blade is taking longer to run down than normal - check your nuts/bolts!.

I'm off to cut some more pieces now, and see if the accuracy has improved... :unsure:

It only takes one 'kickback ' to loosen and damage a blade. I always advocate fitting plywood zero clearance fences and baseplate to prevent this. Sharpening the blade might be a good idea.:rolleyes:

Back