Looking to replace framers manual guillotine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not too far away and have a Framers Corner mitre trimmer and an Orteguil 78OR100 bench top model available.

I've just bust the handle off my cast iron wood guillotine used in my framing workshop. I am looking to replace this and can only see one similar Mitre Trimmer / Moulding Guillotine

I mitre mainly hardwoods upcycled from old bits of furniture.

Any advice would be most appreciated thanks.
Cast iron is not the ideal material for a lever, so it was probably destined to break at some point. My son, has this same model of guillotine, which when he got it, had no handle - probably for the same reason. He improvised a handle for it out of a length of 25 mm x 3 mm flat bar, filed to fit. This is reinforced along the centre of half the bottom part , with a length of 12 mm angle iron. This has been tack welded at intervals along its length. It works quite well but could be improved by the addition of wooden scales , to make it more comfortable to use.

I've had the same model for around 20 years, no issues with handle. It is as it says, a trimmer, light cuts. Upload a photo of broken handle to see if there can be a repair.

I have one of these: Axcaliber MT1 Mitre Trimmer but as said above its a trimmer not used to cut the angle just trim it to length, works very well, reminds me I must get a finer tooth blade for my mitre saw.

I have an Orteguii pedal operated ORC100 with the sidebar and attachments like rebate support bars and a spare set of blades that I plan to sell sometime beautiful machine

Attachments

• 371D5587-BDA5-4C6A-A46D-006FFD2633E6.jpeg
    371D5587-BDA5-4C6A-A46D-006FFD2633E6.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 0
Feeling flushed(!) with success having just welded up the cast iron cover on one of the inspection chambers to our septic tank, I would suggest that welding should work. Needs preheating and the right sort of rod (there were some odd 2240 rods in my stash) but not too difficult. Or file/drill the end nearest the pivot and fit a mild steel rod/bar plus wooden handle.

I have one of these: Axcaliber MT1 Mitre Trimmer but as said above its a trimmer not used to cut the angle just trim it to length, works very well, reminds me I must get a finer tooth blade for my mitre saw.

Indeed. Cut to within a hair of the knife line with a mitre saw, then trim to the line with the guillotine.

I bought mine when Rutlands had an offer on their guillotine - I think around £150 - so I leapt on it. Mind you it is sharp! discovered that while dusting and oiling mine (it lives under one the benches) and caught my knuckle on a blade. Took a chunk of skin off with zero effort.

Admit I bought mine when on offer too, since cutting myself just touching one of the blades, it now lives in a dedicated enclosed substantial box to keep my hands and dirt away.

The real benefit of these is getting two sides exactly the same length by shaving a bit of a time, putting the two sides together upright and back to back on a flat surfaced and comparing the pointed end, well that's how I do it.

Latest posts

Back