Looking to purchase a Router!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angman

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Merry Christmas to you all!
I am a Diyer and looking to purchase a new router!
I am between the 3:
DeWalt DW622K
Makita RP1110C/2 RP1110C 240V ¼in PLUNGE ROUTER
Makita RP0910/2 RP0910 240V ¼in PLUNGE ROUTER
Which from the 3 is the best option in terms of reliability, and feature from your point of view?
Also does the Makita have the same system for the depth adjustment?

I've got the larger Makita RP router in a table, I've owned it for 18 months, at a guess, and it gets worked hard full time, it has been great.
I used it hand held a couple of times, it was nice to use but the dust extraction is rubbish which is a shame really because other than that it's a nice router.
If the smaller RP's are as good I'd go for one of those as long as you find it comfortable enough to handle.

I have the 1/4" version of the DeWalt which is the 621K with the through the column dust extraction and I would recommend it for that alone. The dust extraction is excellent!

I haven't given mine hard use so can't comment on durability but it seems well up to any tasks I've asked of it.

I hope that helps.

Hi Guys and many thanks for the replies and info.It seems that the most guys prefer the Makita Routers from the Dewalt.Not know enough about the extraction issue that Jensmith mention.
Could some throught its lights on that further?
Also looking for the manual of the :

Makita RP1110C/2 RP1110C 240V ¼in PLUNGE ROUTER
Makita RP0910/2 RP0910 240V ¼in PLUNGE ROUTER

i wouldn't describe the dust extraction on the Dewalt as an 'issue'. It's an excellent design meaning that 95% of the dust disappears into your dust extractor rather than into your workshop and your lungs.

I think before you jump into laying out for a router, you might want to think about the tasks you'll do in the future. You mention that your a Diyer, but as you get more confident you tend to take on bigger projects.

I say all this because you might want to consider a 1/2" router rather than the 1/4". I have 3 1/2" routers and one 1/4" and have to say that I can't remember when I last used the 1/4".

Just a thought worth considering.

The Makita rp1100c is very good.I chose it for a workshop 6 years ago and its still going strong. It's quiet,has good depth adjuster,good extraction, 8mm and 1/4" collets included. It is compatible with Elu 96 jigs and accesories which makes it a good choice for anyone who's worn out an Elu but has 30 years worth of jigs,tables and fences to fit
I went to a large dealer to compare as many as possible and was put off the DW621 by someone returning his second faulty one
Use Bosch part No 1 600 499 005 to convert the dust spout to the 35mm common to Alto/Wap/Festool hoses
Matt

Latest posts

Back