Looking to purchase a custom wooden sign with Arabic text

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteypablo

Reaction score
Hi all,

My grandmother passed away last year, meaning my father has now lost both of his parents which hit him hard.

I'm looking to purchase a nice wooden sign that can be hung on a wall in our home, the only caveat being that it needs to have text written in Arabic on it, and be in the UK.

I've found one option via Etsy, but would love to know if anyone here does this sort of work or has any suggestions please?

It was suggested that I could potentially use a wood that is special, so I was thinking of Olive tree wood as that's native to his home country. Open to suggestions on the method used for the carving, I've seen painted (not ideal), carved, CNC'd and I think lasered!

I appreciate it!

Attachments

• il_794xN.1235444846_ph4t.jpg
    il_794xN.1235444846_ph4t.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 322
I think carved writing could be very nice, perhaps some added relief carving, that could have added meaning for your father?
Try contacting the BWA British Woodcarvers Association, there may well be a branch local to you. Could pop into a meeting and ask, they are a friendly, helpful bunch and shouldn't cost a mint if someone would like to do it as a project.

pollys13":1w9c4cz8 said:
I think carved writing could be very nice, perhaps some added relief carving, that could have added meaning for your father?
Try contacting the BWA British Woodcarvers Association, there may well be a branch local to you. Could pop into a meeting and ask, they are a friendly, helpful bunch and shouldn't cost a mint if someone would like to do it as a project.

Thank you for the suggestion! I haven't heard of relief carving before, will take a look :)

I've reached out to the BWA, thank you - hopefully there's one local to me! It would mean the world if someone was interested in the project for sure!

Richard at Timberflair.co.uk does signs, he has a cnc, so if you can supply him with an image he could probably help. They also do chicken housing, so don’t get confused.

Give them a ring, it’s worth an ask!

peteypablo":2lrqx22y said:
worn thumbs":2lrqx22y said:
Half hour V carving project on a CNC router.

Just took a look at that on YouTube - looks amazing! Is this the kind of thing general public can get access to do you know?

Not sure how the general public would get access to a machine unless you have a local makerspace or maybe men's shed with a bit of the technology.The software can take many forms and one of the best is free if you are interested in downloading it and having a bit of a play http://scorchworks.com/Fengrave/fengrave.html . If you can't find a way to ferret out a geographically convenient business you might take a look at this forum https://www.cnczone.com/forums/european-club-house/ -you might have to sign up first-and you could post that you are seeking somebody with V-carving capability in the ******* area.

Hi,

I thought I sent you a PM but it seems to of disappeared!
I have a small Cnc machine which is ideal for this type of thing.
Please feel free to send me some details and I’ll see if I can help.

Thanks,
Mark.

I think the look of hand carved lettering is much nicer visually, up to you what you use in the end.

oakfield":24btdfx6 said:
Hi,

I thought I sent you a PM but it seems to of disappeared!
I have a small Cnc machine which is ideal for this type of thing.
Please feel free to send me some details and I’ll see if I can help.

Thanks,
Mark.

Hey Mark!

I also sent through a PM to you but I'm not sure if it went through :) did you see it?

I did one on the scroll saw for the chap at our local shop. I was tempted to fill it with baking clay which I've done on other items but decided not to chance in the end.

Allah Peace Prayer

Allah Peace Prayer.jpg

Attachments

• Allah Peace Prayer.jpg
    Allah Peace Prayer.jpg
    744.3 KB · Views: 202
Back