Looking for Wheels for Planer/Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aesmith

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to make my various tools moveable, to best make use of a restricted space. The planer thicknesser is one of the worst as although it's not that light it's awkward to move, and in use it needs space both ends. Ideally a pair of retractable wheels on two if it's legs would do the trick. Anyone know where I could get something cheap to do the job? I thought of something a bit like these (although those are actually discontinued and I think they were expensive in any case)
https://www.tritontools.com/en-ZA/Product/Accessories/Workcentre Accessories/AWA200
Or any other ideas welcome as well.

Thanks, Tony S

We don't know how heavy your machine is, nor its base-size, but in my own case, I have a Kity 636 thicknesser that I've used for the past 25 years, sitting on an Axminster mobile base.

A bit like one of these things:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Tools-Mobile-Bases/b?ie=UTF8&node=1939236031
Two wheels are free, the front two have a locking lift mechanism that keeps it solid when it's in use.
It is normally parked in a corner of the workshop when it isn't being used.

We don't know how heavy your machine is, nor its base-size
That's true, I should have said. It's an Elu EPT1901. The footprint so to speak is 620 x 520mm measured to the outside of the legs at ground level. I can't think of how to get an accurate weight, it's pretty easy to lift up one end so maybe 35kg or so in total.

I suggest looking up Carl Holmgren's designs on youtube,
as if you have the thing on casters then the machine is likely to move away from you.
i.e learn the lesson what happened here.
Screenshot-2021-4-20 MY PLANER ACCIDENT - YouTube.png

I just made a mobile platform for my planer and every other large power tool I have. The planer has two fixed and two lockable swivel nylon castors on 36mm chipboard. Works well, but I should have used swivel castors all round. The table is 1.2m and the planer is 230Kg, so it takes a bit of effort getting it pointing in the right direction when the fixed wheels are in front, especially if the planer is sitting close to something else which is long. I don't bother locking the wheels when using. At that weight, it never moves, but I can see it could be dangerous on some machines.
I used rubber tyre castors on my lathe, just some I had from another job, ( nowhere near as good as those Penn elcom ones!). They weren't rated for the weight of the lathe and the tyres keep coming off, so make sure the mobile base/wheels are rated for the weight. Triton ones look very flimsy

I used rubber tyre castors on my lathe, just some I had from another job, ( nowhere near as good as those Penn elcom ones!). They weren't rated for the weight of the lathe and the tyres keep coming off, so make sure the mobile base/wheels are rated for the weight

I have these on my p/t. I dont know its weight, but got to be 300kg. I bought 4 swivel castors with locks. I often only use 2 locks though....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211024-001906_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211024-001906_eBay.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 10
Hi,

I'm trying to make my various tools moveable, to best make use of a restricted space. The planer thicknesser is one of the worst as although it's not that light it's awkward to move, and in use it needs space both ends. Ideally a pair of retractable wheels on two if it's legs would do the trick. Anyone know where I could get something cheap to do the job? I thought of something a bit like these (although those are actually discontinued and I think they were expensive in any case)
https://www.tritontools.com/en-ZA/Product/Accessories/Workcentre Accessories/AWA200
Or any other ideas welcome as well.

Thanks, Tony S

This with a piece of ply bolted to the top could do it. Its a motorcycle lift

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hydrauli...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I have a planer/thicknesser of similar size mounted on a home-built wheeled platform, wheels lock - don't have a picture but in the same vein I have a very basic table saw mounted on a similar wheeled platform . . . both are at height that enables them to be used, but wheeled under bench/storage unit when not in use. Both were made from oddments of timber ans sets of wheels from Screwfix. Both machines are bolted to the top platform (and I have similar units for my bandsaw and drill press - both of which have under-storage)

(The steel plate with the wheels underneath on the left is the base of the workstand for my bike workshop)

DSC01414.JPG

I've been looking at wheeled options for my Kity 618 cabinet saw, it will not be moved that often and I'd prefer it to be sat on the floor rather than raised up on wheels or an a raised base.
I've been considering these retractable casters https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402588529098
ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The other option that's drawn a blank at the moment is the integral fixed casters in a housing that are fitted to one side of the cabinet as shown on the Kity manual
you would lift one side of the cabinet to engage the casters and move it like a wheel barrow.kity 0618.01.jpg

I have a smallish Scheppach table saw....not heavy just akward to move about.....
made a fixed angle platform from plywood and fitted fixed wheels to it....
2 drop handles at the front enable me to lift it until the wheels hit the floor then u can move it like a wheel barrow.....plus it sits on the original rubber feet when in use.....
soory no photo's.

I have these on my p/t. I dont know its weight, but got to be 300kg. I bought 4 swivel castors with locks. I often only use 2 locks though....

I have table saw (305mm) planer thicknesser welding sets trolley all on these, easy to fit, cheap and do the job

Thanks for all the comments. The advantage of retractable wheels as in my first post, is that when the machine is in use it will have all four feet on the ground as usual. I'm not sure I want to watch that video but I can well believe that something Bad could happen if the machine moves unexpectedly.

Referring to some of the other comments, my plan B might well be to remove the legs and make a square cabinet base, which to which I can easily fit normal castors. Would need some secure braking mechanism though.

Keith Brown (Rag n Bone Brown on Youtube) did this

I did similar, removed the legs and made a stand using 3 x 3's. Has locking casters all-round, works a treat.
Geoff

Attachments

• Planer Stand + Drawers and Storage (1).JPG
    Planer Stand + Drawers and Storage (1).JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 18
Easiest way if the machine is not that heavy is to just rig up an axle on one end with a couple of four inch plain wheels, so at rest the wheels are not quite in contact with the floor, and overhang the end. As soon as you lift the other end the wheels are on the floor and off you go. You might need to fit a handle of some sort at the other end to make lifting it easier. This is the arrangement on most of the portable mitre saw stands you see. Cheap, simple and it works.

Back