Looking for suggestions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
I came back from the saw mill over the weekend with a pair of sycamore boards that I'd intended to use in a bookcase; after three years at this I figured it's high time I built something for myself..

Anyway... what with damaging my leg and all, I hadn't had much time to look at them properly until yesterday... I got them stacked out of the way to get on with something else, when I noticed... they're bookmatched. Obvoiusly a matched pair of fine figured boards are wasted in a bookcase, so I'm open to suggestions. Thye're fully 9ft long, approx 14" at their narrowest point and beautifully figured....
pipper of it is, I REALLY wanted that bookcase....

Midnight":2mxlc6mk said:
pipper of it is, I REALLY wanted that bookcase....

If you're looking for sympathy I suspect you'll be disappointed; I can't be the only one wishing I had that kind of problem :p :lol:.

The length and width sounds like they want to be a tabletop... a coffee table, perhaps?

Another solution might be in your choice of words. It seems to me that what you're describing is a bookshelf, but a bookcase might kill two birds - encase the lower half with bookmatched doors, and open shelves above. A thought anyway? :)

As Pete suggests, a couple of sets of doors, a table - if too narrow for a dining table consider a sofa/console/hall table. Maybe a screen of some sort.

Anyway, it sounds as though you got a deal there Mike!

Midnight,
Obviously I would be happy to swap those troublesome boards for something plainer or even some Pine if you would prefer :lol:
I hear MDF is good for bookcases. (a book case made out of the same basic material as the books :shock: )
naughtily,
Philly :D

If you're looking for sympathy I suspect you'll be disappointed; I can't be the only one wishing I had that kind of problem .

I know... I know... if I'm looking for sympathy, to check the dictionary, looking between dung and syphilis.... only place I'll find sympathy in here...
:wink:

The length and width sounds like they want to be a tabletop... a coffee table, perhaps?

That was my first thought too... unfortunately the living room's already at the limit for stuff I can get there as it is.. the rest of the rooms in here are even worse..

Another solution might be in your choice of words. It seems to me that what you're describing is a bookshelf, but a bookcase might kill two birds - encase the lower half with bookmatched doors, and open shelves above. A thought anyway?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... might be on to something there... I've an image in my minds eye, double cupboard at the bottom, secretary desk (sorta) mid-section with open shelves above... a quick browse through the plan sites I have didn't result in anything leaping off the screen..... but if I pinch a little from this... and a piece from that..... frankenbookcase.....
:twisted:

Philly...
wash your mouth with a wire brush and Detol....
MDF.....sheesh......
<shuddering at the thought....

Midnight....If you want to really build something for your self why not treat yourself to a nice big tool cabinet with bookmatched doors on the outside and matching drawers on the inside!

SimonA
Him who still hasn't had time to use his new #112 and might be calling on your help, if thats ok?

SimonA":30harkjx said:
Midnight....If you want to really build something for your self why not treat yourself to a nice big tool cabinet with bookmatched doors on the outside and matching drawers on the inside!

SimonA
Him who still hasn't had time to use his new #112 and might be calling on your help, if thats ok?

Ahhhh.... well.... there's a story behind my tool cabinet. My shop's tiny, barely 11 1/2'x7 1/2' and by virtue of having no other place to keep things, has to contain everything I use; bench, router table, stock etc..

So I'm gradually aquiring more and more hand tools and getting frustrated at not having a "proper" place to keep them. Obviously I need some tool storage but as it is I have to walk sideways in the shop, and with every wall filled with either stock shelves, clamp racks or a consumables rack, making it wall mounted wasn't an option. At the same time, I needed to build something to give more capacity for my chop saw; something with longer in/out feed beds. Eventually I stumbled across a set of plans to build a mobile chop saw station with fold down wings; I thought PERFECT...just change the cupboard for 7 drawers and I've cracked it...
So after making my own plans, I built it... worked like a charm too...and tons of storage...
There's a catch.... can you sense it..???
Damn thing's too big to keep permanently in the shop.... I've tried repeatedly to free up a corner to park it in but fate keeps getting in the way... maybe, just maybe once I get this #@& bed finished I'll get some space back... but until then the planes, chisels etc stay scattered on whatever surfaces aren't in use at the moment...

One of these days the penny will drop....that a small shop's best suited to small projects....
In the meantime....I got a huge list to work through....

Still.... wouldn't be the first time I've drooled over a bespoke cabinet... maybe one day....

Re the 112.. I honestly donno what I can offer that Alf hasn't already covered in her excellent L-V scraper review; her links to the L-V instructions are WELL worth checking out; I learned loads from them..
But if you feel I can help at all.. don't be shy...

Simon,

Definitely check out the L-V instructions - they're really helpful and will make using the #112 much, much easier. Wish I'd had them a year ago. :(

Cheers, Alf

I see you suffer from the same illness that I do......small shop big furniture!! It doesn't really make for the best working situations does it.....

Eventually I'm going to build a cabinet/chest on wheels that I can keep in the house as my workshop(read garage) is a little damp and hence not the best place to keep expensive tools in. I had the idea that if I make it look pretty enough then the missus wouldn't mind as much about keeping it in the house. Thats why I thought the bookmatched boards would be greatly suited for this.

I have read both Alfs article and the LV instructions, all I have to do now is find some time away from all the decorating that I'm doing to get into the shop! going to need to master this thing pretty soon, got to build another oak dining table in the next couple of months. At least this ones for me this time!!

Cheers.

SimonA

going to need to master this thing pretty soon, got to build another oak dining table in the next couple of months

Simon... if you can crack the sharpening prob with the #112, the actual use of the tool is pretty straight forward, especially given the guidance in the L-V instructions. I know that initially it's a bit intimidating but trust me, it's well worth persisting with.

Latest posts

Back