Looking for some shed advice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearTricks

Established Member
Reaction score
This might be stupid to ask, but I've never used one of these sheds before so bear with me.

I had to move out of a listed stone shed because it was too leaky, and at risk of falling down. It's up to the landlord whether he wants to fix it, but since he never used it for anything except storing a large collection of broken flymos I'm fairly sure he doesn't care. I moved the lathe in to a 6x4 shed left by the previous tenant, that leaked too due to a botch job of erecting it so I stuck a blue tarp hat on it to stop everything getting wet again.

Now the weather's better, I'd like to sort out some issues. The main one is that I'm about an inch or two higher at one side than the other. I think it was just chucked up to store some stuff so they didn't care too much about that, but I'd like it to be flat. It's also in a spot where it allows the hedge and weeds behind it to grow out of control without me being able to get to it and sort it out. I wouldn't mind moving it a bit in order to access that part of the garden.

The owner is also banging on about returning and getting the shed at some point although I'm not sure he'll go through with it before I move out. I was under the impression for a while that it belonged to the landlord so it was a surprise to me when he showed up 18 months later to get his stuff back. This was after I'd painted the inside white, put shelves up, bolted my workbench down and nailed a tarp to the roof. Some googling has resulted in the revelation that you actually, legally, have to look after the previous tenants stuff and can't go banging nails in to it. If he came for it I'd probably just offer to buy him a new one anyway to avoid the hassle of having him in my garden for an afternoon.

Here's the stupid questions:

Is it possible to take these things down and re-erect them without doing irreparable damage? It's a slightly larger than 4x6 shiplap shed, one door, one window, pitched roof rather than apex.

http://www.shedstore.co.uk/garden-s...s/6x4-shed-plus-pent-dip-treated-shiplap-shed

It's not the above shed, but that's the closest thing I can find. Big enough for a lathe, but not much else.

How easy is it to replace the felt on the roof so I can take this bloody blue tarp off?

How would I go about sorting the ground so it's level? I don't know what's under the shed, so I don't know whether it's okay to just stick it wherever, or if it needs something supporting it. I'd guess it probably needs some kind of solid base to stop it sinking. At the moment, the rear side is rising slowly, I suspect due to the bushes growing unchecked behind it. That end of the garden is a complete dump so I'd be doing the landlord a favour sorting it out. There's also a huge, impossibly heavy burr from some old tree buried among the weeds and I'm very curious about it.

I moved a 6x4 shed from one end of my 80 foot garden to the other intact and i've also done it on a couple of jobs i've worked on when building extensions. Once it was done with drainage pipe underneath and rolled but at my house, i simply fixed two long pieces of wood to it, one each side and four of us lifted it like a sedan chair and walked it down the garden. We emptied it first of course. I had already laid some slabs nice and flat to receive it and when placing it down on them, it straightened itself up. Was really quite easy.

skipdiver":3ej7vzt1 said:
I moved a 6x4 shed from one end of my 80 foot garden to the other intact and i've also done it on a couple of jobs i've worked on when building extensions. Once it was done with drainage pipe underneath and rolled but at my house, i simply fixed two long pieces of wood to it, one each side and four of us lifted it like a sedan chair and walked it down the garden. We emptied it first of course. I had already laid some slabs nice and flat to receive it and when placing it down on them, it straightened itself up. Was really quite easy.

Love that image of a sedan chair going down the garden!

Roofing felt is easy to change and I would imagine that the previous bloke just slung it on and nailed it down. Doesn't sound like they would have stuck it down.

If the shed's empty, a strong bloke at each corner could probably lift and shift it. Otherwise stone-age technology of skids or rollers (I like rolling things on scaff tubes, using scaff boards as a 'railroad' for the rollers) as has already been mentioned. Cheers, W2S

PS, as far as levelling, remove topsoil and put down bricks or blocks for the floor joists to sit on - ideally with a bit of thick PVC between them. You can use bits of slate, or strong cement mortar, as shims to adjust for small gaps. If you have or can borrow a laser or water-tube level you can get the blocks nice and level first.

Back