Looking for recommendations to buy a decent portable/foldable workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fandellos

Reaction score
Hello, I'm in the market for a good, quality portable/foldable workbench and wondered what people's recommendations are. I am under the impression that the new Black & Decker ones are rubbish and the ideal might be to look out for an old one on Facebook Marketplace/Gumtree/ebay etc as they're much more sturdy and built to a higher quality, however in the absence of finding one of those, what would people recommend?

In terms of use, I will be using it for small DIY projects so nothing too intense. Budget is roughly £60-£100 but could move up or down if it's a good deal. Thanks!

Welcome Fandellos.
If I was in your situation I would first of all try and make one I think, 18 mil ply top 63 x 38 CLS underneath. Construct angled sockets for more of the CLS, as legs splayed outwards for rigidity.
Worth a try, you’ve probably got the bits lying around in your workshop or at most £20. Ian

If you really want a foldable one then my recommendation is:

Look for a second hand (old) Black & Decker professional workmate. These are the aluminium ones. I have one and it is maybe 40 years old but still excellent.

For new ones, I also have a Bosch PWB600. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Bench-clamps-cardboard-capacity/dp/B007R9WICU

This has a decent working area and is very easy to fold up. Neither of them is anywhere near as stable as a proper solid workbench of course, but for folding and portable I think these work reliably. I use my folding ones a lot on jobs away from my workshop.

Look for a second hand (old) Black & Decker professional workmate.
So true! Mine is about the same age. Totally bullet proof. The Kenwood chef of the jobbing carpenter.

I tell ya, they'll be exhibits on antiques roadshow in century or two, and still in daily use .

I have a new (last few months) Black & Decker workbench - seems fine to me... it is a functional piece of metal which hasn't fallen to pieces yet!
I also know a few people who like / rate these plastic ones: Mac Allister Folding Workstation - which is I think the same as the Keter one suggested above...

You don't say whether you need clamping/machines whatever on the bench . . . if it's a portable workbench table that you want then something like I made might suffice:

A pair of Stanley plastic trestles (that have slots in the tops to take 2" timber
2 off 3 x 2 CLS to the bench length you want (mine's about 1.5m) - each length with a small block screwed to the end
Sheet of 12mm OSB to length required and width of trestles - with cheap timber screwed to the edge all round (I used some roof tile batten left from a another job.

Open trestles, place the 2 CLS stretchers in the slots (blocks on the outside extremities) - lay OSB top on the stretchers.

Works for me for working with stuff larger than my workshop benches can handle, assembly work - taking elsewhere to work. You can clamp work to it, it's pretty stable. [I got the idea from the chaps that came to fit some new garage doors for me]

And as suggested - I agree that the current B&D Workmates and clones thereof simply aren't up to scratch.

I have the same as you. I need to make a new top for it though.

Blimey, I wasn't far out when I was talking about workmates on antiques roadshow. This is the model I have, and this is the original.
Yes, I have the original version. I used to have a blue one like yours but stupidly skipped it in a house move, then I bought the professional one (used) and it is better. £300 is silly money though. Mine has the original wood (in good nick) and after a lengthy hunt I found one for £80 a couple of years ago.

A folding bench / large vise is handy as it only needs one hand to carry compared with a pair of trestles and a timber top. Also easy to adjust height and level. Can also be used for vertical clamping (of a door say).

Second vote for a couple of trestles and a bench top of some kind. Can drill it, clamp to it, fix a vice to it etc and if you’re working on big stuff like doors, just lay it straight on the trestles(y)

If anyone is making some trestles this is a good video on the subject.

Don't know why it's starting playing halfway through, you might need to go back to the start.

Depending on your needs, you might find a Triton superjaw works for you. It's the only modern portable solution I've found of an acceptable quality and stability. You can use the vice element to hold a small workbench type top using a batten glued and screwed to the underside. Not overly expensive and takes up little room. Different format to the B & D workmate concept but miles better quality.

Thanks for that, I just looked it up, surprised I haven’t come across it before, it looks good, I google imaged as well and there’s people doing all sorts of things with them haha

I've never really gotten on with modern-day workmate type things - they come with all sorts of fancy looking clamping solutions but they're invariably riddled with plastic components that don't hold up to much for very long.

Trestles are great but can be cumbersome if you're moving around a lot and they take up a good amount of space. I have a pair outside that see plenty use... but rarely move as my shins will attest to!

Shop bought (*ducks*) "speed-horse" types with fold away legs are more portable if that's a concern and can have sacrificial 4x2 screwed onto them. Quite a few have brackets to take any length of 4x2 to make a larger, more rigid, platform. I have a set of Bora ones that have proved really useful when breaking down sheet goods:
bor-pm-4500-det-001-large_720x.jpg

For around-the-house I keep a "centipede" type thing as goes up in seconds, collapses down taking up very little space and gives me a good sized working area (they come in all different sizes from 2x2 and up):
41AffsZ67wL._SL500_AC_SS350_480x.jpg

They look a bit flimsy but, for a portable work surface, they're plenty fine enough and rated to take loads up to 2500lb.

Welcome Fandellos.
If I was in your situation I would first of all try and make one I think, 18 mil ply top 63 x 38 CLS underneath. Construct angled sockets for more of the CLS, as legs splayed outwards for rigidity.
Worth a try, you’ve probably got the bits lying around in your workshop or at most £20. Ian

I'm tempted by that, however my woodworking skills are very basic and I'd be concerned about making a mess of it - part of the reason I want a foldable workbench is to improve my skills and I would like to move onto amateur woodworking projects from there.

Don’t know whereabouts you're situated, Fandellos, but on the usual auction site there's a Wolfcraft Master 200 for £38.
It's in very good condition, located in Preston.

I've had one of these for years - they're simple, effective and really robust.
Good luck mate.

Latest posts

Back