Looking for new lathe. Suggestions? (Bowls, goblets)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had no idea that was a possibility - thanks! I'll have to check once it arrives.

Not that I'll use that capability for some time, even if it's there, but it's good to know what options you have.

Spindle":1zlt7pn3 said:
You may be able to turn slightly larger bowls, (within the power capacity of the lathe), by fitting a faceplate to the outboard end of the spindle, which looks threaded in the manual.
Regards Mick
I have the AWVSL (the older white one) which is the the variable speed version of the AWSL and on that you can not out board turn and also does not have the facilities for a tool rest.

Hi Dalboy

Whilst I appreciate Axminster don't advertise the lathe as having an outboard turning facility I still maintain that as the outboard end of the spindle is threaded the possibility exists. Also an outboard rest facility is very easily constructed and mounted on the lathe bench - it doesn't need to be attached to the lathe :roll:

Happy to be proven wrong by an owner but a little 'thinking outside of the box' never hurt anyone :wink:

Regards Mick

Spindle - you're correct that the outboard end is threaded. However, the rotation acts to loosen anything threaded on here. How would I secure a chuck or faceplate?

I suspect the answer is "The same way as the headstock handle is secured", but I'm not clear on precisely how that is. It can move freely for about half the length of the (outboard end of the) spindle before it gets very tight. I was curious to see if I could remove it, but it felt like I might be about to strip threads. Any insight here would be welcome.

This is, and will remain for some time, academic. But still interesting. :)

Hi

If you download the manual from the Axi website you'll see that the headstock handle is locked in place by item 28, a 6mm hex grub screw - and yes, that's the same mechanism I'd investigate to lock a face plate in the outboard position. Another option to investigate is fitting a reversing switch to the motor, in which case the faceplate would self lock.

Regards Mick

The headstock looks to be bolted to the bed. Is it possible to unbolt the headstock and turn it around so that the faceplate is outboard?

Brian

finneyb":19aixb1d said:
The headstock looks to be bolted to the bed. Is it possible to unbolt the headstock and turn it around so that the faceplate is outboard?

Errr - if you did that the faceplate would still tend to undo :wink: :roll:

Spindle":hx2a79ul said:
finneyb":hx2a79ul said:

Errr - if you did that the faceplate would still tend to undo :wink: :roll:
Lol. Yeah, I think I could turn the headstock, but I'd lose some (e.g. nearly all) of my gear ratios. And it would still unwind. :)

I'm sure I'll be able to find a faceplate with grub screws to secure it, when I want to do larger bowls.

Back