looking for interest group in Mid Derbys Ilkeston, Alfreton,

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jokerman

Established Member
Reaction score
I am due to move next week to the above area and am interested in getting in touch with other keen local woodworkers, either as an existing group or individuals with a view to sharing experiences, knowledge, skills, moans, groans or even giving a hand with individual projects. Any information gratefully recieved. I will be new to the area and don't know any of the local facilities for sourcing materials, either new or reclaimed, tools etc so if anyone knows where to go from their own experience you'll make me a happy horse.
Thanks, hh.

Hi hh,

Welcome to the forum. :)

I'm too far away to help with any info. on your new area but I'm sure someone will be along soon to help. In the meantime, while you are looking for a group or getting to know your way around there, you've come to just the right place for sharing experiences, knowledge, skills, moans, groans, etc........................ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just ask away :wink: .

Cheers,

Trev.

Hello HH and welcome. for timber try Allen & Ore timber merchants in Chesterfield, Craft Supplies in Millers Dale .

For tools there is Rutlands of Bakewell also in Bakewell there is a tool shop in the town which used to be called Tabwell Tools but i believe has changed names. In Chesterfield there is Jacksons who sell a wide choice of Trend etc and, also in Chesterfield there is a open market with a second hand tool stall which throws up a treasure now and again.

If i can think of anymore i will PM you a list.

Regards,
Keith Swift

Hi HH
I'm in Beeston, not too far away.
There is a good tool shop in Derby called... The Tool Shop, also called Jaymac. They have a good selection, will get you anything they don't stock, are knowledgeable and friendly, and are independent.
Cheers
Steve

Hello there HH,

Fully agree with the comments about the Tool Shop in London Rd Derby.

The toolshop in Bakewell is now called Uppertown Tools.

I think they have a web site?

Many thanks to all you folks for getting back to me. I am currently in Derby & have used the Toolshop over the years to buy some nice pieces - Kity Table Saw, Freud Router, now used under a table, Bosch planer, Freud Bixcuit Joiner, Delta Band Saw etc and have always found them very helpful and willing. I bought my first Radial Arm Saw from Buxton many years ago(Ryobi) and it is still going strong, although pretty noisy. My biggest problem now is that I can no longer drive and have had to give up work through ill health. Not good at 52. There is a very good bus service right outside the door where I will be living which goes to Derby and Nottingham so I will make visits when I go to see family in those areas. Money is tight but so it is for everyone, thus my interest in locally sourcingl reclaimed material both for cost and quality. One firm I have already contacted is only a couple of miles away and they will deliver, provided the order is for sufficient material. I am also thinking of putting an advert in the local press asking for unwanted or damaged furniture from which I cxn repair or rebuild other pieces.
I thoroughly enjoy making one off "turnip" size pieces for people to match the style, colour and finish of their other furniture and devising home made jigs to tackle individual tasks.
The first job when I move will be to build and fit out a new workshop in the back yard which is walled on three sides and very secure. I can at last plan out a shop which is designed around me and my Kit without having to take into account the often conflicting wishes of a wife and family.
Thanks again everyone and good luck with any projects you have going over Easter.
May the Force be with you.
Ex Obi Wan now Heanor Horse.

Thanks for that Horse, be sure to keep us up to date with your workshop build and your projects.

Noel

Do you know anything about Ballyshannon.It's where my mother's family originates from and I've always thought of going there to get a feel of my "roots".
hh.

Hi,
It sounds as if you are in a very similar situation to myself I am 51 this year and am also disabled and I live in Spondon just on the outskirts of Derby. If you want wood there is Harlows just off of Harvey rd and they deliver at a small cost which is ideal when buying sheet material also Harlows is one of the cheapest timber yards round here. If you need a lift to set up an account I will pop you down as I live on the No 4 bus route from Notts to Derby.

Hope this helps,

Rosco ( Chris ).

heanorhorse":vjvydzf8 said:
Many thanks to all you folks for getting back to me. I am currently in Derby & have used the Toolshop over the years to buy some nice pieces - Kity Table Saw, Freud Router, now used under a table, Bosch planer, Freud Bixcuit Joiner, Delta Band Saw etc and have always found them very helpful and willing. I bought my first Radial Arm Saw from Buxton many years ago(Ryobi) and it is still going strong, although pretty noisy. My biggest problem now is that I can no longer drive and have had to give up work through ill health. Not good at 52. There is a very good bus service right outside the door where I will be living which goes to Derby and Nottingham so I will make visits when I go to see family in those areas. Money is tight but so it is for everyone, thus my interest in locally sourcingl reclaimed material both for cost and quality. One firm I have already contacted is only a couple of miles away and they will deliver, provided the order is for sufficient material. I am also thinking of putting an advert in the local press asking for unwanted or damaged furniture from which I cxn repair or rebuild other pieces.
I thoroughly enjoy making one off "turnip" size pieces for people to match the style, colour and finish of their other furniture and devising home made jigs to tackle individual tasks.
The first job when I move will be to build and fit out a new workshop in the back yard which is walled on three sides and very secure. I can at last plan out a shop which is designed around me and my Kit without having to take into account the often conflicting wishes of a wife and family.
Thanks again everyone and good luck with any projects you have going over Easter.
May the Force be with you.
Ex Obi Wan now Heanor Horse.

heanorhorse":i64i59ql said:
Do you know anything about Ballyshannon.It's where my mother's family originates from and I've always thought of going there to get a feel of my "roots".
hh.
In Donegal? Nice wee town on the coast at the mouth of the River Erne. About 1 1/2 hours from here over the border between Donegal Town and Bundorran. Beautiful part of Ireland, especially in the summer.

Noel

Thanks for coming back, nice to hear from you.
I know Spondon well, my ex wife lives there and I was married, many moons ago, at St. Werberghs on Locko Rd. Whilst living in Derby ( Sinfin then Allestree since 1976) I've used Harlows as my main supplier for new timber and Fletchers for reclaimed stuff. There is also a scrap/reclamation yard on Radbourne Lane Mackworth that is sometimes worth a try. There is a Fletchers in Langley Mill who will deliver for me and I'm planning to have a look around as soon as I move to Heanor to get some timber and other bits with which to build my workshop. My back yard is walled on three sides with an open rear to the small garden. I plan to roof the space with corrugated PVC to let light into the house as the rear window faces out onto the garden, put in a slightly raised floor, good lighting, plenty of power points and a dust extraction system - a bit Heath Robinson but it works well. I've also traced a small junk/reclamation yard down the road from where I'll be living which I plan to check out. There is also the local tip and I plan to have a chat with the foreman to see if they will save me any useable pieces for the price of a drink.
Although it's going to be a big thing to move from Derby I'm looking forward to the new challenges it will bring and I'm getting quite excited about the kind of life I will need to learn to live. 34 years in the last professional but highly stressful job was enough and the past two years off work with ill health has made me learn to appreciate things on a much smaller scale. For the first time in a long time I've felt joy, a totally forgotten emotion for me. As well as the workshop there is the work needed on the house itself to look forward to but I must remain realistic about what I can now physically do. Eg. this morning I took delivery of a new planer thicknesser which is still in the box because it's too heavy for me to lift out. I'll have to wait for my son to come over during the weekend to give me a hand in unpacking it. It looks good though from the top and the paint is nice and shiny so it must be good!
The bus from where I will live takes me to the bus station and then the Flyer up to Spondon is only a few bays away so I expect I'll be a quite regular visitor to the area. Thank god for bus passes and blue badges.
Anyway I've rabbited on enough. Keep well and thanks for your kind offer. If there is anything I can give you a hand with please let me know and between us we might just make a good job of it.
Regards hh.

Mark is the guy I've most often dealt with at the Tool Shop. He's genuine and very helpful, whether you're spending £2 or £200. Good old fashioned politeness and sense of humour.
hh.

Back